Garmin Forerunner 305 problems anyone else ?

Anyone esle having a problem with their new forerunner 305

201 to 220 of 288 messages
03/11/2007 at 00:20

Has anyone had a problem with LOSS OF SOUND???

Mine is generally great BUT i can hardly hear the alarms for distance etc.

Any advice/comments would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

RM  

05/11/2007 at 16:14
Thank good - I thought it was just me and my senility
09/11/2007 at 09:27

Anyone having problems with satellite acquisition?

I don't really know how long the unit should search for satellites, but mine seems to take a good couple of minutes each time.  Tried it in a number of different areas so I don't think it is poor location (buildings or trees).

Once located, the unit works great though!

Still not worked out how (or whether) to upload maps.

Has anyone exhaustively tested battery life?  I'm looking to use mine on the Round Rotherham 50, and will be hopefully coming in around the 8-9 hrs mark (please don't check back and gloat in a few weeks when I've miserably failed this).

As the published battery life is 10 hrs, I'm "pushing the design envelope" a little...

21/12/2007 at 22:40

OOK! you are a hero!

that reset trick has got my 305 back up and running again - never was one for reading the destructions! guess that will teach me - was just about to complain to Garmin!

Is anyone having a problem with "over charging" it seems ok as long as i dont leave it on to charge for too long - if i get to the "Charge Complete" message then when i turn it on I get the "Low Battery" warning

But if i take it off charge before the charge is complete then it seems to be charged up ok - its as if when it is over charged, it shorts out or something and loses all the battery charge...very annoying!

Im charging it off the mains using the supplied plug and cradle

31/12/2007 at 14:11

I still haven't got my PC to accept data from the watch despite zillions of deletes and reinstalls, resets and system restores.

Messages like registry error and problems communicating with your gps or gps not connected despite the gps showing transfer  complete and beeping appropriately

But the important bits; routes, speed, distance hrm etc are all working

Ex pat Scot - do you switch it on and leave it stationary? It doesn't like moving  around before it has locked on. I leave mine by a window or put it even outside for a while, speeds up the process, 60 secs is about usual.

Have a suitably drunken Hogmaney

31/12/2007 at 20:32

I had the same problem , turned out I had updated my Garmin ,but not the training centre on my PC . Once I had updated my training centre I no longer got the ''problems communicating with your gps''

02/01/2008 at 13:28
I've updated both and still get the message. I've given up and I am using motionBased website now and have downloaded a free programme called sporttracks-its a little fiddly but you can get all the same info and graphs. Also you can export straight to Google earth.
02/01/2008 at 14:04
will look up that software , thanks for the tip . Yesterday for some reason my garmin deleted my run before I could download it , if anyone has any idea why I would love to hear it . I love my garmin ,but why did they not put a light on it , running in the dark and rain and trying to pear at it is not easy
02/01/2008 at 14:56

You do know that a quick tap of the power button activates the backlight?  And you can set this to light up for anything from about five seconds to permanently.

As for Sporttracks, I agree it's the business. 

02/01/2008 at 23:37
Thanks a ton moscowflyer ...... I feel a bit of an idiot now as I have had my garmin for nearly a year and did not know that !!!  I  am going to give it a go tomorrow when I go out in the dark
03/01/2008 at 06:34

I downloaded Sporttracks and can't see why it's any better than Training Centre. I haven't worked out how to get the graphs view yet either

I'm off to find a tutorial in case there's something I'm missing with this software. 

03/01/2008 at 16:42
I have found the ( not very good ) graphs now and a Tutorial. It still doesn't look as easy to use as TC but I will perservere for a few weeks before I abandon it.
03/01/2008 at 17:08
Yeah but Muzz the point is that it works-if my 3o5 and TC worked together I would be using it... the graphs aren't great you're right but for a shareware program I thought it was pretty good. Motion based is good too but its the waiting time between screens and for uploading your data that spoils it...
03/01/2008 at 17:23

You should get way more out of SportsTracks - maps with detail for a start - it is not the easiest thing to get started with but it is free and is (assuming you can get it going way better than TC.

Cheers Chris 

03/01/2008 at 17:54
Yes the maps are very good, its good fun exporting straight to google earth too. Managed to find more graphs as well as the clunky bar charts.
04/01/2008 at 13:34

Janie T

I have the same problem now lasting for more than six months so I have given up in the PC data display - I don't really need it do I?

Motion based works for me but it is so slow and fiddly - logging on everytime

04/01/2008 at 13:45
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=117195&last=1&V=6&SP=

just down the page, this thread has the solution, I followed MandM and christine's instructions and my 305 now works perfectly with the garmin TC software
04/01/2008 at 13:48

As a matter of interest does motion based have a cost - I just got so frustrated with the TC database failing to save - now at least with TC you can  export an indiviual activity.

SportsTracks is an acquired taste - has lots of techy quirks and features - but as it is donation based therefore timescales are long.

Having said that Gamin are not short of cash and I think only fixed TC to guard against MAC threat abd the likes of SportsTracks. Afterall new users would not look for anthing else if it worked and might even think hey i will buy Garmins maps - but as Google Earth / Maps are so widely used and Sat Nav in cars has tons of data I dont think the charge for maps model will be very strong especially in future.

Just my 2 cents

Chris 

Forgot to mention the OPEN arcitecture means anyone can write plugins. Export your route to your website. Match photos to your GPS route etc and pretty much anything you can think - might not be possible or might take a while - recording the gear on the bike was one request to the pluin authors not sure that one ever got off the drawing board though!

Edited: 04/01/2008 at 13:52
04/01/2008 at 14:20
I believe motion-based have a free trial which lets you record 5 runs. I went the whole hog and paid about £60 for an account for the year. I find it infinitely better than the bundled training centre, with proper maps and nicer graphs, and pretty much every export and import feature known to man. I like it and religiously upload every jog onto it.
04/01/2008 at 19:37
Ah the maps. I don't use the ST or TC maps. I am fortunate enough to have Memory Map so view / make courses on it instead. Off to look for a Heart rate zone and pace against distance graph in ST now...
201 to 220 of 288 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.