Getting your gear dry in rainy weather

Avoiding that 'took too long to dry' smell

1 to 20 of 46 messages
03/11/2009 at 13:49

When I wash my running gear (and other clothes for that matter) in the morning and hang it on a clothes dryer in the house it can take 2 days to dry and then smells mouldy and needs washing again.

Anyone else got this problem and found a solution?  I don't want to put heating on just to dry clothes or buy a tumble dryer which I don't have space for anyway.

03/11/2009 at 13:51
LOL - I hang mine on the upstairs landing banister. The warm air rising dries it in no time
Edited: 03/11/2009 at 13:56
03/11/2009 at 13:54
Hi Gaz - I get better results from the banister but it's right by the muddy running shoe rack.   Maybe I'll have to stop being so hygiene-obsessed.
03/11/2009 at 13:56
I do as GZM does but having said that my running kit never takes 2 days to dry on the maiden......... What is you kit made out of?  Alternatively hang it outside when its not raining - it will take all day to dry but not a problem.  Now you're going to tell me you live in a bungalow or in a flat....... .  Do you have an airing cupboard? Thats where my wet trainers go.
03/11/2009 at 13:57
Why do you take your muddy shoes upstairs?
03/11/2009 at 13:59
I stick running gear in the airing cupboard to dry on wet days too.
03/11/2009 at 14:09

change your washing machine for a washer/dryer combo thingy?

put a dryer in your shed / garage?

or buy a de-humidifier...will help speed things up, but might cost a fair bit in electricity so might as well put the heating on! 

if your kit is made of technical material it should be more or less dry when it comes out of the machine...mine rarely take more than a few hours to totally dry.

03/11/2009 at 14:21

wish I had an airing cupboard.

I have this prob too Parky.  Not found a solution yet apart from a squirt of febreze

03/11/2009 at 14:27

Put it on whilst still wet and run around in it until it's dry???

You might need to take an umbrella though

03/11/2009 at 14:27
I have trouble with all of my clothes not just training clothes.
03/11/2009 at 14:29
I have this problem too. Not so much with my tops as they're lightweight wicking fabric, but I had the airer in my little utility room, and it was taking ages to dry, so brought dryer out into kitchen at night and air circulating in there seems to work a treat.
03/11/2009 at 14:29

No shed or garage - that's inner city living for you.   No airing cupboard.  No space in skinny entrance corridor' for shoe rack.

Tigerlily - my kit's the usual wicking, quick-dry material but leggings with a waistband can take 2 days to dry.  I think having a dark house doesn't help - it's overlooked by huge walls at front and back because it's right next to a railway line and backs on to some shops.  When we had all that rain earlier in the year, my favourite Odlo top was on the line for 3 days while I was at work because of the unpredictable weather.  When I eventually brought it in, it smelt of rotting leaves and I had to throw it.

Edited: 03/11/2009 at 14:30
03/11/2009 at 14:30
Oh and another question, when the mould smell sets in, it seems to hang around for a few washes until it completely goes.  Is this due to mould spores or something?
03/11/2009 at 14:38
Just googled this and baking soda is supposed to be good.  I shall give it a go
03/11/2009 at 14:38

I have this problem when I wash my sports kit on the quick or delicates cycle, which doesn't spin out very fast so they're still dripping wet when they come out of the machine. Not a problem in summer, they just dry off in the warm conservatory.

In winter I give them an extra high-speed spin so they're just a bit damp afterwards, and then onto the clothes horse by the radiator.

I know what you mean about the smell, though.

03/11/2009 at 14:43
Slap some conditioner in next wash, seems to work & you'll whiff nice when out running.
seren nos    pirate
03/11/2009 at 14:47
I jusat have to put on the heating for a couple of hours.leave the clothes on the radiators and over the banisters .then have another blast with the heating later on...............no other way with so much washing going on
cougie    pirate
03/11/2009 at 14:52
Bung the heating on and put the kit next to that. I hate that mildewy smell that some people have.
03/11/2009 at 14:59

Thanks everyone.  I'll try those things - baking soda; airer in kitchen; blast of heating for an hour or so

I already do extra spinning and have started to use 'nice'-smelling eco fabric conditioner, rather than vinegar.  Might put baking soda/bicarb in at the fab con stage now tho'.

Shimmy shimmy wrote (see)
I have trouble with all of my clothes not just training clothes.

I had to take my jeans off the drier yesterday and put them straight back in the wash.  Pooh!  *Holds nose in disgust.*

Edited: 03/11/2009 at 15:02
03/11/2009 at 15:02

That's it Coughie - mildew.  That's the smell.  I've never gone out in gear smelling of it tho', so you haven't smelt me.   I can't bear to put anything on when it smells of that smell.

I'll just have to get used to putting the heating on when it's not really necessary.

1 to 20 of 46 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.