Glasses in the rain

How can I run and still see??

1 to 20 of 83 messages
29/09/2006 at 22:59
Would like to pick brains...

I am short-sighted enough to not be able to get around without wearing my glasses (let alone run without them) and would rather not spend a fortune on contact lenses. With the winter drawing in I am likely to be faced with running in the rain on a regular basis so am looking for tips on how other runners cope with this? I don't suppose anyone has found some little windscreen-wipers or similar??

Would live to hear how other people get round this.

29/09/2006 at 23:01
I wipe my specs on my t shirt
and run blind
sorry
:(

a baseball cap has been said to help
29/09/2006 at 23:21
I currently run with a cap on the rare occasions I venture out in the rain and it does slow down the rain-induced blur but I was hoping (probably in vain) for something that worked better.

Are there any bright sparks out there good at inventing things? Looks like a gap in the market...
30/09/2006 at 00:36
I eventually caved in and got daily disposable lenses.
This was after:
(i)a 10K race chosen solely because it was in an area I knew from years back, and wanted to see again, but couldn't because of bucketing rain, and
(ii) narrowly missing running into a tree on a training run because glasses were so steamed up.

It doesn't work out that expensive because I only wear them for running in the rain, ie not very often. The main problem is it takes ages getting them in and out because I get so little practice. But it is really great being able to see in the rain, and I'm sure has been a deciding factor for getting me out of the door on a wet day more than once.
30/09/2006 at 00:41
Just read your profile, RachieJ. You sound similar to where I was at a couple of years ago, only despite good intentions I didn't keep running through that first winter after RFL.
I strongly advise, if you haven't already, get youself a couple of races to work towards over the winter, another 10K or 10 miler or even HM. Having something to aim at works wonders for the motivation!
30/09/2006 at 01:00
I never go out without my cap if there's the remotest chance of rain. Doesn't keep it all off but they stay dry enough to be able to see. I did the Baddow 10 a couple of months ago in what has to have been the worst rain I've seen in many years, vision was fine until I finished when my specs steamed up!

Lenses aren't an option for me as my eyes are too dry.
30/09/2006 at 01:05
stockport 10 on december 10th is a good one to aim for, i wear contacts daily disposables they cost £25 a month...i want to get laser treatment as soon as my eyesight stops getting worse!
30/09/2006 at 02:01
baseball cap
30/09/2006 at 06:54
my company makes a water repellent spray for motorbike visors, the product is called Salclear TT-X, www.salclear.com

This could be used on your spectacles in heavy rain.

For light rain and to stop fogging you should try Salclear Sport.

In our testing programme I used prototypes of the above on spectacles and sunglasses whilst mountainbiking and running in all sorts of weather, and they proved perfect.

I ran an ultra mountain race recently with the defog on my wrap around sunglasses, without fogging up to half way through the race, (3hrs for me), when the sun went in and I took the glasses off.
30/09/2006 at 07:26
..baseball cap here, I can't wear contact lenses...and if it's lashing I just take them off...it's quite exciting running blind!

:0)

why not try lenses, you can get montly disposable from £6 per month.

Trying to work up the courage to have lasik!
30/09/2006 at 07:57
I have lenses for inclement weather. A pack of 30 lasted nearly 2 years.
30/09/2006 at 15:12
Definitely worth investing in contact lenses even if you only get a month's worth of dailies and just wear them for running in the rain, Rachie.

A warning, though. I went into the opticians a few years ago with precisely that agenda, and believing, from past experience, that I "couldn't" wear contact lenses. I've been wearing contact lenses full time since then. I was hooked instantly.
M...eldy    pirate
30/09/2006 at 15:15
daily disposables for me as well

wear them to run/swim/bike and going out so a 3 month pack lasts me for ever and they are not expensive these days
30/09/2006 at 16:46
I wear two weekly contacts. Like Vrap I was hooked instantly, they are fantastic.
30/09/2006 at 20:09
Had contact lenses for many years but dry eyes have precluded use since.

I use a baseball cap - a thing I wouldn't normally be seen dead in, but I make an exception when it comes to seeing where I'm going! After an old NB I got as a freebie - it was cotton and got saturated very quickly - I picked up a rain-resistant Nike one in Sweatshop and have been using it ever since.

Despite my inability to use contact lenses, they were very good for running - not so good for cycling, however - I always seemed to get blurred vision whenever I tried to look behind me.
01/10/2006 at 23:57
I ran today in the rain. Glasses got fogged up kept having to use fingers to clean them as am so shortsighted I daren't take em off,(for the sake of the other 15+ thousand people behind me). I used to wear contacts but have really dry eyes and sight too far gone for LASIK and they don't do daily disposables for my presecription. (am nearly as blind as my nickname) so am taking the plunge. Got an appointment with local SIte for Eyes to see whats on offer. Had enough of steamy glasses. Would recommend the contacts though. I really loved them when I could wear them. They are not that expensive. Specsavers pretty reasonable.
02/10/2006 at 11:57
Even without the problem or rain, I sweat so much I couldn't imagine running in glasses for one second. (My prescription is -5.0 so bumping into trees/dogs/dodgy pavement slabs would be a serious issue!)

I'd also recommend monthly disposable lenses which work out a lot cheaper than dailies.

Have a look at www.getlenses.com. This is where I get mine from and it works out about 30-odd quid for 6 months' supply. If you don't wear them every day they'll last even longer.
02/10/2006 at 12:12
Phil - mine's in excess of -7.5 so am really blind as the proverbial!! Apart from the dry eye issue torric lenses for my prescription are still flipping expensive!!! ;o(
Stump    pirate
02/10/2006 at 12:17
Can you swim in contacts?

I was going to look into lenses to save the the price of expensive custom sunglasses next summer.

It would be great if I didn't have to spend cash on opti-goggles as well.
02/10/2006 at 12:25
definitely contacts .... try monthly or daily disposible

I swim in contacts ... but you must wear goggles!!
1 to 20 of 83 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.