GPS watches for navigating trail routes?

8 messages
12/05/2013 at 17:28

any forumites got a view on the best GPS watch for following a complex route..ie, the best one for inputting a load of waypoints for a trail run and then following the route using the watch (saw someone using one the other day and it seemed to work a treat, but didn't ask what model it was). thanks

12/05/2013 at 18:26

The Suunto Ambit is excellent. There are new models just out so I imagine you'd get a good deal on the original.

12/05/2013 at 19:43

I don't know what is available now, but I use my garmin 305. It's a very basic display, a thin line for the course you've loaded and a thick line for your track, and it beeps if it thinks you're off course. So if you go around a planted field for instance rather than over the crop it gets a bit confused. It's helpful, but not what it does best, and in a forest the margin of error renders it unreliable.

13/05/2013 at 15:15

It's not a watch, but I use a garmin edge 800.  

Plusses:  full UK 1:50,000 OS maps, can upload a coarse and it'll tell you when you're off it and distance to go, good battery life, can be recharged on the go with AA batteries, clear display.

Minuses: about the size of a thick mobile phone, shows speed not pace.

I only really need it's navigational capabilities when doing long offroad runs away from home, so when I have a rucksack on anyway.  This means the size isn't a problem.

13/05/2013 at 15:30

If it genuinely is a complex route, then I would use a map & compass. I'd only rely on GPS for fairly simple routes.

19/05/2013 at 10:34

I've just Got a Garmin Fenix (also own a Garmin Forerunner 210). While I love tech and find them very useful, I am an old school navigation instructor and although I use tech, I weigh heavily towards map/compass. 

When batteries die and Satelites can't be received..... what is left?

23/05/2013 at 00:04

anyone used the 310XT for navigation - we are doing the GR20 soon, so could be useful on that....

www.sheffield10k.com

23/05/2013 at 00:14

The Suunto Ambit 2 is cheaper than the original Ambit. £275 compared to £350. For some unknown reason black and silver are expensive options.

Agree map and compass for complex routes.

I would not use a sports watch for following a complex route. Have both Garmin 405 and Suunto Ambit. Still stick to paper maps when i want to go somewhere new.

I think some of the larger handheld devices which hold OS maps would be better if that's what you wanted, though you can easily print a map for a one of. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.