Head torch... Good recommendation please

1 to 20 of 43 messages
BWT
06/01/2011 at 18:09

Thanks in advance.

If I am going to keep enjoying / upping my miles I am going to need to keep running my route that is on unlit path/road maybe even cross country.  Running round an estate just isnot so much fun.  Yesterday some some suggested a head torch - anyone recommend the one that they use.

06/01/2011 at 18:35

I use the LED Lenser H7R (160 lumin)  ...... got it for £40 and so far its been superb,  70% power is sufficient for following single track through the forest at night....

06/01/2011 at 19:39
Petzl Tikka XP2 or the Lenser H7 which is not rechargeable

Both use 3 x AAA batteries which last a long time
06/01/2011 at 19:42
BWT, do you want me to ruin this thread too or do you want to punish me in advance........
06/01/2011 at 19:43
....so'k so'k im going.....
06/01/2011 at 20:45

Google Alpkit. Their Headtorch is £12.50 inc batteries (3xAAA) and postage! A total bargin as its excellent. Designed for runners (also has red back light), horitontal battery compartment to stop shaking around and fits great. I already own a Petzl, which is good, but have bought the Alpkit just because it is so good.

06/01/2011 at 21:36

The petzl myo XP is pretty good - my cousin has one and I keep trying to 'borrow' it, as it outshines my Tikka 2.

07/01/2011 at 08:23

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=&UTN=168985&last=1&V=1&SP=

Cyba-Lite Sprint Led Headlight

Coin cell powered, and all contained within the lamp, so no secondary power source

Very light at 25gr

£8.99 on Amazon

07/01/2011 at 10:29

For unlit roads, paths and clear trails, Alpkit Gamma should do you fine - I use mine for just that purpose, also for hill walking, including night navigation in pathless areas. Lensers and Myos will be bright enough to vaporise a cow at 100 metres, but if you're just starting off at running in the dark, the great value Alpkit is incredible. The only thing it's not good for is reading in a tent at night whilst lying on your back - the battery compartment sticks in the back of your head!

BTW, I don't work for Alpkit, but I love their stuff, their philosophy, and their customer service team.

07/01/2011 at 11:57
There was a good thread on this a few months back when I asked the same question.

I narrowed my search down to the Lenser H7 and the Fenix HP10. I went for the Fenix in the end because it is waterproof and has the extra band over the top of your head. Both are good torches but probably aimed more at trail running.

If you just want to light up a road or good path, then there are cheaper alternatives.
cougie    pirate
07/01/2011 at 16:24
Alpkit Gamma is great for running and so cheap. Better than my Petzl that was almost 3x as much !
08/01/2011 at 14:28
I wear mine round my waist, (I have a cyber lite) but having fallen in a bush and nearly come a cropper have decided I need something brighter.  Are the Petzl straps elasticated and big enough to go round a med waist? and same for the gamma, can you remove the top head strap?
08/01/2011 at 16:01
Second vote for the Alpkit Gamma - very good! and fast service.
08/01/2011 at 16:43

Another vote for the Alpkit Gamma, I used it for the Lakeland 50 and it was awesome and only £12.50 delivered:

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16345&category_id=25

Would highly recommend this headtorch, cheap and does a great job, a nice touch having the rear led on the back.

BWT
10/01/2011 at 21:27
Thanks folks I have ordered a Alpkit Gamma as it looks like lots of you recommend it and at that price not a great deal to lose.
BWT
11/01/2011 at 21:57

OMG what customer service and what a head torch...

Took it for a night out and it is light, and BRIGHT - and love the rear light saved me from two cyclists!

Thanks guys was a very good call....  One question can I use rechargeable batteries in it?

12/01/2011 at 08:11
A vote for the petzl tikka SP2, very light and bright, only 2 batteries (not 3 like the persons says above - unless it is a newer version). I use it for all sorts from putting the bins out, going in the loft, running in the dark and even trying to locate my guinea pigs under the dresser after they have had their run-around whilst being cleaned out!
13/01/2011 at 10:29
Rechargeable batteries - I haven't found any definite information about this but I seem to remember it can't use rechargeables. Generally speaking, if a torch can use rechargeables, the manufacturer will advertise the fact prominently - no news is bad news, I think.
14/01/2011 at 21:21

BWT Are you using this on country lane type running or off-road? 

Interested in if its ok to use on-road or is it possibly too bright for oncoming traffic?

BWT
14/01/2011 at 23:42

Used it on the pavement and it was bright - got flashed by one car - who had full beams on and dazzled me totally - but bending head down solved that issue for oncoming veichles.

I would highly recommend it.

1 to 20 of 43 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.