Head torches

Recommendations please

21 to 36 of 36 messages
18/11/2012 at 19:27

I'm very happy with my H7 - main problem is it's too bright to read in bed in a tent, even on lowest setting. I'm going to have to get a puny little headtroch for that. I don't really like running with a headtorch, but I have done it, and it does the job just fine. If I was designing it I would put an extra strap over the top of the head & I'm a bit undure of the battery cover, though it's never let me down yet.

18/11/2012 at 20:50

Great topic, thanks guys

Have just ordered an Alpkit Gamma - bring on the early morning off-road runs

19/11/2012 at 13:48

Don't suppose you found the pink one anywhere Marie?! 

cougie    pirate
19/11/2012 at 14:01

Erm won't it be dark when you're using it ? So who will see it's pink ? 

19/11/2012 at 14:04

I'll know it's pink Cougie!  I still wear nice undies even though no-one else can see them, same thing

20/11/2012 at 13:18

No sorry, pink is not really my thing if I'm honest

Have gone for a very fetching aqua colour .... will match my running jacket and camelbak!

20/11/2012 at 20:35

Muttley I own the Silva TR as well and the battery life on it is a joke. used it on the TP100 this year and got about 6 hours of light on the medium setting. Brand new Duracell batteries as well.

Anyhow have just bought a Alpkit and used it a couple of times on club runs and love it.

It is the best £15 you can spend on a headtorch. Magic

22/11/2012 at 13:17

I agree - used my new Alpkit on my run this morning and it was excellent.  The fit is great (good range of adjustment) and it lit up the canal path a treat.  Can't wait for tomorrow morning now!

25/11/2012 at 10:33
Intermanaut wrote (see)

Petzl Tikka XP.

That is not a cheap head torch! And at only 80 lumens not very bright, i've got a petz tika 2, 30 lumens, it's pretty rubbish, barely lights the ground a few feet away. I bought one of these G3 CREE Q5 at 400 lumen (can be had for £5 if you look) you can actually see where you're going on completely unlit roads, dirt tracks. I carry it with the petzl.

I also bought one of these to use on my bike, though i've run with it too, TrustFire CREE XM-L T6 LED ( i didn't actually buy it..it was... free...lol) at 1800 lumen it's literally brighter than a car head lamp, fantastic torch!

Edited: 25/11/2012 at 10:36
25/11/2012 at 16:17
IckleMini wrote (see)

I agree - used my new Alpkit on my run this morning and it was excellent.  The fit is great (good range of adjustment) and it lit up the canal path a treat.  Can't wait for tomorrow morning now!

It seems like a good one to go for, I am just wondering if it has quite a wide beam, the one I have now is a narrow beam with not much spread, can you shed any light? 

25/11/2012 at 18:16

Hi TST

I've got the Alpkit one too - not in pink though.  I got mine of Amazon.

26/11/2012 at 10:18

Mine's arrived this morning, got the (boring) desert one in the absence of the exciting pink one!  Ran this morning so am tempted just to go for a little walk this evening so I can try it out!

pottermiss wrote (see)

It seems like a good one to go for, I am just wondering if it has quite a wide beam, the one I have now is a narrow beam with not much spread, can you shed any light? 

I can take some pictures when I go out tonight if you like Pottermiss?  I don't know the spread of yours so wouldn't know if it is better or worse, but if I tried to take some photos of how much it lights up that might help?

cougie    pirate
28/11/2012 at 15:12

Pottermiss - how wide a beam do you need ? Its wide enough to light up the path that you're running on - if it were spread wider - it wouldnt be as bright  - and why would you need the sides of the path lit ?  

If you're navigating cross country on untamed terrain you might need something brighter  - but for paths and trails in the pitch black - this is enough. 

28/11/2012 at 16:08

Went out for a walk down one of the back roads near us on Monday night and it was brilliant!  Mr TST reckoned it was probably nearly as bright as his 600cc motorbike's headlight when it's on dipped   Also nearly accidently blinded him by turning my head to talk to him and shining it right in his eyes    Will try and take some photos when I am out in the dark next Monday.

28/11/2012 at 17:59

Thanks for the info, I am going to order one tonight - those on this thread should get commission . I've not really got comfortable with running on my own in the dark yet so just wanted as much light as I could get without spending loads, this sounds ideal.

29/11/2012 at 22:57
On the back of the recommendations I ordered the Alpkit. Very useful thread, thanks. Arrived today. I was using a Silva Siju, but it gives only the bare minimum illumination. Now hopefully away from the streetlights I can see where the bloody hell I'm going.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 36 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.