Heart Rate Monitors

Are they worth it.

21 to 28 of 28 messages
05/01/2007 at 14:13
I've never used a HRM before and want to use it on the treadmill so I don't have to grip the handlebar to get a reading. Can you just get the strap that talks to the machine, or do i need to get a full set with the watch etc?
Thanks
05/01/2007 at 14:26
Mine talks to the machine anyway soyou might as well get the lot, I got a polar FS something.
05/01/2007 at 15:44
Don't bother - they're a waste of time unles you live in a perfectly flat area with no winds (or train in a gym). Can't run slowly enough up hills to stay in zone, can't run fast enough down hills to get into it.
A mildly interesting gimmick, but I found no more reliable than "perceived effort".
05/01/2007 at 19:15
Aldi have them for £12.99 from next Thursday (11th) if anyone wants to try a cheapie.
06/08/2007 at 14:59
I bought a Polar model with the sealed in battery in the chest strap befgore my 14 yr son was born. Strapped it on in the gym last january when the one provided by the gym reeked of hundreds of people's sweat. The thing still worked and talked to the machines, ie treadmill, cross-trainer, ststionary bike and rower perfectly with no added gadgetry. Bravo, Polar.
16/08/2007 at 21:06
I've just tried to buy the 'Heart Rate Training for the Compleat Idiot' from Amazon and found its only available second hand from £32 upwards! Will look around for other copies. Seems to be the "wonder book" according to many forumites.
I've had a Polar monitor for a couple of years and given up on running what feels like too slowly almost every time. It's really hard to run in slow motion and once theres the whiff of an incline then it starts shouting at me. The result is that almost all my runs (3 to 15miles) are at about the same speed. Hopefully the book will force me to become more disciplined - if I can find one!
21/06/2008 at 00:57
I have a Garmin 405 that I bought for £175 from www.clevertraining.com. I love it and can't run without it. It gives me my pace, heart rate, distance, time, and previous days running statistics. I can even compete against my past runs, insuring that I keep progressing. I would definately recommend this watch!
16/01/2014 at 21:38

Has anyone used the mio alpha watch & Strava app?? Ta

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 28 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.