Help a newbie prepare for winter running

What gear should I buy?

21 to 27 of 27 messages
IronCat5    pirate
21/09/2012 at 18:14
Muttley wrote (see)

Wtf? Woolly bobble hat. X-country stylee tiny shorts and singlet. Good slathering of whale blubber.

Works for me down to minus 10.

You're all a bunch of jessies!

I can't wait for XC season! No woolly hat, but gloves for first mile.

21/09/2012 at 18:22

If you find hats too warm to run in as I do try a buff or similar. In summer I use it as a headband to stop sweat getting into my eyes and roll it down a little further in winter to keep my ears warm.

21/09/2012 at 18:28

any views of snoods? one for the jessies?

21/09/2012 at 23:02

My wife says it's like touching a dead person feeling the back of my neck when I am running. Some of us have very efficient cooling systems and freeze at the slightest bit of cold. On the other hand, I run in Spain in plus 30 degrees weather quite comfortably.

People should just wear what makes it comfortable to run. That said - autumn, forget winter, autumn: fleece gloves, gore winter top under a windproof jacket, full Ronhill winter leggings and a buff head piece. Back of my neck still feels like a cadavar mind....

Pethead    pirate
21/09/2012 at 23:26

Long sleeved technical top, long socks, normal shorts and a pair of gloves for me. When it gets really cold, add leg-warmers and an extra t-shirt. Mind you, anything over 20'c and I struggle in the summer!

21/09/2012 at 23:34

Your arse freezes in the winter.  So shorts over tights is my tip. 

23/09/2012 at 20:12

Tortuga, there's not one right answer for everyone.  It depends partly how fast you are running, your size, how much you feel the cold, and the windchill factor on the day - that's the crucial one. 

One thing's for certain - as you run, you'll heat up and will not be able to continue with the layers you started with, even on a very cold day.  It's best to go for an adaptable layering system with a way of quickly stowing your hat, lightweight windproof top and or gloves as you heat up.  I like to wear compression clothing in winter to fend off tweaks from not tissues not being warmed up properly. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.