High UK Prices

21 to 28 of 28 messages
23/08/2006 at 19:03
Should have checked it at the time Tequila - silly really.

I know someone who lived in Japan and she said the cost of living was very high but then again it ain't cheap in London!
24/08/2006 at 09:16
You very rarely get clobbered for duties when ordering from outside EU if for personal use as post office don't always bother. Sender should have marked it was a gift which would have asved you the money.
24/08/2006 at 09:19
Agree Goldbeetle, unfortunately it's same for everything from footballs to kids shoes, underwear, sports shirts. Why do Primark sell stuff so cheap?!
24/08/2006 at 09:30
It is ridiculous what we pay in the UK - for almost everything, and I don't think that our salaries are very high either.

I try to buy my running shoes in the US and my other kit in Aldi or Lidl. I don't feel bad about playing the system if I can.

I got a pair of Asics 2110 in the US for $65 last time - that is a huge saving over what they are here, and they are exactly the same shoe as far as I can make out.
24/08/2006 at 09:40
Kazzaaaaah, i buy a lot of goods from Canada and the USA for work, sometimes we pay duty, sometimes we dont. I think it depends on the mood of the customs people!
24/08/2006 at 09:42
"I don't feel bad about playing the system if I can"

I think the guys bringing huge quantities of tobacco and booze in from France would agree with you there...........
24/08/2006 at 10:20
southdownswolf - almost certainly! Part of my Dad's job was to go and inspect containers of goods when they came into the country and he had some horror tales about Customs. Like the time he saw them drill loads of holes in a very expensive antique table to check for contraband or the time they completely stripped a motorbike down while the owner was getting his paperwork checked and when the poor guy came out of the customs shed there was this pile of spare parts where his bike had been!!
24/08/2006 at 10:37
Unfortunately Customs are a law unto themselves, and can do whatever they want. And take all the time in the world to do it.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 28 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.