Hokas - Raising the Heel/Toe Drop

4 messages
29/06/2013 at 11:02

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Hokas - the new Rapa Nui which is less "platform soles" than the others, but still bigger than "normal" ( 1.5 times bigger rather than 2.2 ) http://www.hokaoneone.eu/en/d/rapa-nui-comp-unisex_143.html

My main aim for getting these is the cushioning, suffering from plantar fasciitis at the moment and read of a few people who use Hokas to help. I've tried a pair on in a shop and they wonderful.

However the Hokas are a 4mm/5mm heel to toe drop, and I'm not used to that lower level, I still wear "traditional" shoes around 10mm. So I'm worried that although it may help the PF it may cause other achilles/calf problems.

I was wondering if removing the Hoka insole ( which is very flat and very thin, about 2mm uniform ) and replacing with a more shaped insole with a bit of arch support and heel/toe drop would be a good solution.

Anyone tried Hokas with their own insoles ( orthotics or standard ) or got thoughts if this would be a good/bad idea ?

The other thing that I'm not sure of is that Hokas deliberately have a sort of "rolling" feel to them, and maybe changing the insole to a more built up one would alter this - which may or may not be a problem

30/06/2013 at 10:53
30/06/2013 at 19:45

Good walkong shops will cut an extra insole in half for you and chamfer the edge. Having said that I think you'll get used to them. You'll still be rolling but at a different angle. 

01/07/2013 at 12:14

it takes a little while to get used to the Hokas if you're a classic heelstriker - just stick with it and you'll find you will become more of a midfoot strker - that combined with the cushioning will help the PF no end.  well it did for me. 

Edited: 01/07/2013 at 12:15

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.