How about a combined HRM - distance measuring unit

13 messages
24/10/2002 at 12:02
I do need an HRM and I keep wondering what distance I have actually covered, but I don't want to be wearing 2 additional pieces of equipment when I run, nor do I want to pay two times $200+.

Why isn't anyone manufacturing a combined HRM - distance measuring unit? Or am I just missing something?
24/10/2002 at 12:24
Seem to remember someone posting a while ago, saying that Nike was developing a combination thingy.

Any truth in the rumour? Anyone know?
24/10/2002 at 12:27
That might have been me - I've heard those rumours quite a few times, and have mentioned it here before.

No idea if it's true, and it's probably not worth waiting for as I doubt it'll be any time soon. But that's complete speculation.
24/10/2002 at 12:31
I couldn't agree more - Combining the Polar 610 (for example) with a HRM that could be downloaded to a computer would be the ultimate tool for runners.

I actually contacted Polar with this suggestion and they gave the following answer "At the moment we don't have such models coming. Maybe in the far future as the customers are giving the feedback and wishes of these."

So maybe if we all emailed Polar (helpdesk@polar.fi) they may get on to producing one.
24/10/2002 at 12:49
There is one available in the US http://www.fitsense.com/ but alias, we can not get it here.
24/10/2002 at 16:55
Mark:

I did email to Polar - and did get the answer that they got similar requests from others - so maybe indeed they wil end up producing one.

Slo Mo:

That Fitsense product does look nice. Has anyone actually tried one? I might bring one back on my next trip to the USA.
24/10/2002 at 17:46
I emailed Timex asking if they were considering producing a combined SDM and HRM. I got a bald "we have no plans" from them. Maybe if we all email them they'll change their mind..

custserv@timex.com

I, for one, would buy one like a shot.

Millipede
24/10/2002 at 18:03
Agreed. Their GPS unit looks just the thing. And I just emailed them...
27/10/2002 at 18:41
The fitsense product is available to ship to the UK and can be bought at www.fitsense.com. It seems a snazzy bit of kit but reading the forums at www.runnersworld.com, it has varying reviews in terms of accuracy and alot of people discredit it. Personally, I bought a Timex SDM from ebay.co.uk for £95. Happy hunting...
28/10/2002 at 21:39
I was told by a salesperson in Niketown Chicago that Nike would be releasing a combined HRM/SDM at some point. This was 6 months ago, and he had no idea of the timescale. I guess we'll be a few months behind the good ole US of A!
30/10/2002 at 14:10
I don't suppose there's any chance of adding a mini-disk player too? :-?
31/10/2002 at 12:23
Mini-disk would be a bit bulky but Casio do a watch with a built in MP3 player though!
01/11/2002 at 16:59
Fitsense told me that (1) they don`t ship to the UK - something about radio frequencies not having been approved; (2) they have no plans to distribute in the UK because they have been unable to find a joint distributor anywhere in the EU. Any would be entrepreneurs out there ?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
13 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.