How to carry energy gels

21 to 26 of 26 messages
20/03/2012 at 14:40

I hate holding a bottle while running. Always feel like it throws me out of balance. One in each hand is okay, but then it just feels like I'm needlessly lugging extra weight about.

I wear compression-style bra tops and tuck stuff down the front - usually my ipod nano, a gel or two and sometimes my inhaler. Once I got a weird boob blister from the edge of the gel packet chafing but generally I find it a great way to carry stuff...

20/03/2012 at 14:53
Gavlar C wrote (see)

I have seen people with arm gel holders

http://www.northernrunner.com/accessories-c145/belts-wallets-and-holders-c458/hilly-c459/arm-gel-carrier-c1045/hilly-neoprene-arm-gel-carrier-black-p819

Thanks for that link, Gavlar! I've also been looking for an alternative to a gel belt - this looks pretty good.

At the moment, I use the storage pouch for my Montane running jacket - I can fit a small pack of tissues and several energy gels in but I don't really want to carry a pouch for a whole marathon ... the arm belt looks like a good alternative and will stop me feeling lop-sided!

20/03/2012 at 16:51
A few in a Y-fumble armband pocket, and the rest down the front of my sports bra!
25/04/2012 at 17:25
First, find out whether they'll be any on the course, as HMs often have a gel sponsor. Can get lots of shorts with a back pocket that'll take 2 or 3 gels. I hate belts personally, they annoy me too much!
25/04/2012 at 17:36
Someone working at Sweatshop recently suggested to be that you go and get some cheap 'one size fits all" type gloves that pound shops seem to specailize in, and chop of the fingers, leaving a sleeve over the palm, where you can stuff a couple in each hand. Haven't tried it myself: I tend to gaffer-tape a couple of gels to a doughnut style water bottle (if you use them). I've had too many gels fall out of belts etc.
Pethead    pirate
29/04/2012 at 22:15
I don't do gels during half marathons, but if I ever take them on extra-long training runs then I tuck them into my long socks. Works well with the compression-type socks.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.