HRM displays

8 messages
16/04/2009 at 14:56
I have had several HRM and SDMs over the years from Garmin, Timex Polar and Suunto.  All of them show lots of wonderful information, but mainly in tiny numbers that I can no longer read.  I do not feel like carrying a magnifying glass with me on training runs, and stopping to put my reading glasses on also feels a little silly.  Given the number of us over-50s carrying on and starting running, there must be a demand for widgets with nice big displays.  Can anyone recommend one?
16/04/2009 at 15:14

The Garmin 305 has pretty big digits, especially if you set it up to only show only a couple of readings. It also has a light so it's visible in the dark. I can't comment on any of the others as it's the only one I have used.

All the best

Darren

16/04/2009 at 15:32
Contact lenses?
16/04/2009 at 15:55
Distance vision is fine.  If I wore lenses for close work I would keep running into things, which is rather more dangerous than not beeing able to see my heart rate!
16/04/2009 at 16:03

OK - a Garmin, set with HR band alerts.

It will beep when you are below your chosen range, and when you are above it.

It may well drive you crazy though.

16/04/2009 at 16:10
Aren't all runners crazy to start with?
17/04/2009 at 08:33
I use a Garmin Forerunner 301 which has a big display and you can dowload the heart rate and GPS data when you get in from your run.  It's a little chunky but not so much that it gets in the way.  Has heart rate features as well which can alert you whist you training in certain zones.  Worth a look.
16/03/2011 at 14:03

I use a Garmin 310XT and like the other models I can read the numbers even if set to 4 measurements per window. But what I find most annoying is the little pop-up window for programmed repeats, such as an interval session. The actual repeat number is in tiny text and there's a risk that I run an extra repeat before realising I should be cooling down. Or I get out of step and am running at interval speed in a jog period, or vice versa.

Thinking about it, maybe the step number is available as a data field. Anyone know? Even if it were, it'd be hard to keep track of say 12 x 200 fast/jog with warm-up/cool-down. That's 26 steps.

Edited: 16/03/2011 at 14:03

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.