HRM without chest strap

Is there such a thing? Are they any good?

21 to 25 of 25 messages
18/03/2012 at 10:51

Playing around on t'interwebby, I found garmin soft strap  but I also found criticism of the soft strap.

I've only got the standard strap and never really had any issue with connectivity although it does sometimes go a bit slow - yesterday I apparently ran 1m @ 66bpm.

I also just googled HRMs and found a number of sites etc, but also this one strapless HRM.  There are a number of places that sell HRMs, but I found a Polar one that seems to have a soft strap too.

Re scars, I had a nasty experience with a c-section scar, couldn't see it underneath the overhang () but the stitches burst as the wound became infected and there was a lot of scar tissue, lumps and bumps.  I also have a long scar along the inside of one foot where I had tendon surgery and then had my foot in plaster for months afterwards.  In both cases, I was advised to use E45, so just applied liberally and it did help.  With my foot, my first 2 months of physio were simply cream being massaged into the scar to help it heal.  It's now a thin line, barely noticeable.

18/03/2012 at 21:01
I've had a look on wiggle and I must admit there are mixed reviews of the soft strap and £40+ is a lot. I did another easy run with it today and I think I've got it sussed now. Obviously I'm only doing about 30 or so mins at the mo so if it gets uncomfortable when I'm out for longer then the investment in a Polar etc will be worth it. Many thanks for the research and lfor posting the links. As I said before, I'd never even considered wearing it on my back before and it's a bit of a faff getting it on and securing it under my bra, but I think it should work.

PS - I've noticed I got your name wrong in an earlier post. I'm blaming my iPad auto-correct, but I should have checked before pressing Submit. Sorry <embarrassed emoticon>
18/03/2012 at 21:22
The older I get, the faster I was wrote (see)

PS - I've noticed I got your name wrong in an earlier post.  I'm blaming my iPad auto-correct, but I should have checked before pressing Submit.  Sorry

Don't worry, I've been called far worse!

Edited for PS,

PS, It may well be chafing etc just now because the scar tissue is relatively new - I have no feeling along the c-section scar or my foot, so perhaps once a bit more time has passed, it won't be an issue.

Edited: 18/03/2012 at 21:25
20/03/2012 at 14:59

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H6126VC/A/scosche-mytrek-wireless-pulse-monitor

This is an HRM you wear on your wrist. Worth a look if you're having bother with a chest strap. 

22/07/2012 at 11:23

Have a look at Alpha watch. This is a strapless, touchless HRM

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.