HRT and fitness

1 message
Boo
27/11/2002 at 11:15
hi all,

i'm aware there are quite a few threads on HRT monitors which have been useful when i bought mine recently (polar 'wireless').

there are a couple of things i'd like your advice on though - very simple but i'm new to all this!

1) am i wearing it in the right place? (yes it is round my chest!). what i mean is being a girlie and having boobs, i can't put it across my chest like my male friend wears his. instead i have to fit it around my ribcage under my boobs. i mean this is really the only place for it - but is fact that it is not going across my heart make a difference to the reading? what do other female forumites do?

2) it says you have to wet the contact pads - i'm quite fair and don't sweat very much even when i'm running at my hardest (just turn a lovely shade of beetroot!). do the contact pads dry out over time? is there a gel or something that may be more effective than just tap water.

3) am i correct in thinking that as i get fitter my resting heart rate will decrease slightly too?

4) the HRM came with a chart to work out what HR you should be aiming for. for my age (25), it said i should be aiming for 130 - 160 to be working in the 'increase your fitness' range. i haven't a clue - so does this sound right?

sorry of all these questions, but i hope you can help.

thanks

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.