Hydration/storgae device

9 messages
13/06/2011 at 10:30

Hi there,

I am looking for a device to carry keys and a mobile (blackberry size), possibly water (although I usually carry in my hand)

I usually run 10-20km in distance and have tried bum bags but find they bounce around and I have to pull them very tight around my waist. I have also tried a shoe wallet but find the extra weight on my foot annoying. I do mountain runs as well and wondered if the only way to go is a lightweight camel back? I live in Spain and was trying to avoid a back pack as it gets so sweaty. I have seen the camelback Alterra, and also the bottle carrying bumbags -do they fit any better than regular bumbags?  I had a karrimor and it was terrible. Any advice would be great!

Edited: 13/06/2011 at 10:31
13/06/2011 at 10:45
Something to try would maybe be an SIS rehydration belt and the hydration Gels.

I use the SIS belt and the High5 with caffine hydration gels. the Belt has a small bag that could carry a Blackberry (I have a BB curve 8520) and keys no problem and the gels neatly clip into the belt.

I couldn't run without it now and it's a real help for me, I'm not sure if it will be what you are after but thought I'd try and help
13/06/2011 at 11:18

I know you've tried bum bags but how about the Camelbak FlashFlo?

It has a couple of side compression straps and I find mine very stable by having the main strap 'quite' tight and then using the compression straps. As I drink water I keep tightening the compression strap. There's plenty of space in the pocket for keys and mobile and it has a 1.4L bladder for water (think the current ones are slightly larger).

13/06/2011 at 11:55

Georgie, I do a lot of mountain running and have never found a satisfactory solution.

The best options in my opinion are:

- a simple, basic bumbag like this:

http://www.rockrun.com/products/Rock-%252b-Run-Hipsac-Classic.html

into which you can put a collapsible platypus like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Platypus-Bottle-Litre-Push-Cap/dp/B0027H3ONO

and whatever else you need. It tightens up very well, specially  with the compression straps at either side.

Accessing the bottle on the move can be awkward obviously. I tried a Lowe Alpine bumbag with two bottle-holders and that is far less stable and bounces around a lot when the bottles are full.

No.2 option:

http://uk.thenorthface.com/tnf-uk-en/equipment/tech-packs/enduro-13.html

I've not got one yet but a few trail / mountain runenrs I know swear by it - and it seems to be the rucksack of choice amogn the elite runners at the moment.

I'm going to get it to replace my Inov8 Race Pro 12, which I use for winter running when I need a bit more space. I don't really use the horizontal bladder as it's a bit awkward and I just don't like bladders ...

http://www.achillesheel.co.uk/running_accessories.php/s/running+belts+%26+packs/inov8+race+pro+12/pro12_whitedrop

Edited: 14/06/2011 at 17:01
27/06/2013 at 13:23

do you think you could fit an ipad in the enduro 13? cheers

27/06/2013 at 14:05

I have an inov-8 hip bag which is great, and i also have an Asics hydration pack which is small, light and really cehap. It's well-made too. You will be able to get an ipod, phone and soem gels in there, maybe even a small item of clothing.

But I usually use it in combo with a hip bag as it's a right PITA to stop, take it off, and rummage around for phones, maps, bts of food and so on.

Early this year I had to wear a waterproof for teh duration of an ultra and this combo worked really well, though, because my jacket went over the pack, my water gota  little warm. nice.

27/06/2013 at 14:40

Cheers Snap!

30/06/2013 at 18:58

Have a look at Ultraspire products. They do a range of waist bags including a modular system where you can choose various bits to add on.

Inov8 also do a couple of bottle carrying options.

01/07/2013 at 09:40

a bottle and a pocket

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.