Inov-8 trail shoes give heel blisters

15 messages
17/03/2013 at 17:52

I've some Inov-8 trail shoes that feel good to run x-country except that after about 5k they start to rub at the top of both heels. The fabric there seems quite unyielding and uncushioned in that place. I've used them about ten times.

Any suggestions on how to stretch or otherwise modify the shoes? Or is there an alternative I should look at?

BTW I normally wear Saucony MC5s Motion Control with an orthotic sole but need something more suited to muddy x-country.

thanks, Simonides

17/03/2013 at 18:56

I have some innov8 (girl's ones though!) and have found the heels to be looser than my old road shoes. I haven't had any blisters yet, but plan to try 2 pairs of thin socks tomorrow when I go for a run. I often use 2 pairs of socks when walking (I did 3 peaks challenge) and this stops blisters. Will keep you posted on how it goes!

17/03/2013 at 19:07

I modify shoes where they rub around the heel cup by just cutting away the offending areas.

17/03/2013 at 22:19

Yes I'd thought about cutting away the section.  Seems a bit drastic but perhaps worthwhile. I might try Canary's tip first though!

Any suggestions for  a new pair of trail shoes? Not sure if it's relevant but I generally take a wide fitting. thanks!

17/03/2013 at 23:07
Socks with more padding? Or buy a bigger pair?
17/03/2013 at 23:33

vaseline... and loads of it... AND decent quality socks.

18/03/2013 at 14:13

You could try steaming the heel cup.

That should soften it and then put the shoe on, walk around until its cool. Should then fit your foot better.

Twin skin socks will also help....

18/03/2013 at 14:29

Yes, try the steam trick, I've not needed to but know several people it's worked for.

21/03/2013 at 22:29

Been running in F-lite 195s the past year all on trails. Heel has been fine, but have been using the Bridgedale CoolFusion socks and feel great.

An ultra runner mate of mine recommended Drymax Trail lite socks - he did the Hardrock 100 in them and said they are phenomenal and really come into their own in the wet areas.

Just bought a couple of pairs from the ultramarathonrunning.com shop and tried them out for circuit training this evening and they felt great.

22/03/2013 at 03:07
Shoes come in defined shapes. Your feet don't.

1) buy cross country spikes if you are doing cross country.
2) choose a pair that fits your unique feet.
3) stop blaming the shoes.
25/03/2013 at 12:22

I tried Inov8s but they just don't fit my feet. I found them not very comfy and liable to give me heel blisters. I have a friend who is the same, and he's tried 4 different models. If they don't fit your feet, they don't fit your feet and that's that! Not the fault of the shoe, loads of people swear by them and love them, but if you don't find them comfy, don't waste any more of your time trying to wear them in, cause it's unlikely to happen!

25/03/2013 at 12:23

P. S. If you know Sauconys fit your feet, buy a pair of Saucony trail shoes and wear them with your orthotics. And yes, if you're doing XC then a pair of spikes might be more sensible.

31/03/2013 at 23:19

I tried several pairs of Inov8 shoes and all of them gave me heel problems.  I tried remoulding the heel cup which helped, but they still game me problems, especially uphill.  I then discovered La Sportiva Wildcats and everything became better.  Different shoes work for different people.  Inov8s don't work for me.  La Sportiva do.

23/04/2013 at 16:12

I'm on my third pair of inov-8 Mudroc 290s and, although they've needed replacing due to wearing out rather than anything else, I have had problems with the tops of the heels rubbing until the shoes were worn in properly.  This webpage talks about how to steam and mould the heels of inov-8 shoes to get a better fit http://www.inov-8.co.nz/shoe-fitting-guide.html and I'm going to give this a try with my latest pair (which I've not worn too many times).

I have wide feet too and I really recommend Mizuno Wave Harriers.  They are what I usually wear and are great off road.

30/04/2014 at 20:48

Just an update in case anyone finds this thread in the future.  Steaming the heel cup of my inov8s didn't make much difference so I slit the back of the heel vertically which seemed to solve the problem for a while (I was using them as a backup pair of shoes).  I took them to the Highlander Mountain Marathon last weekend and they shredded one heel and left the other very sore.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
15 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.