Jacket for the winter

7 messages
10/12/2012 at 19:01

Does any one know of or can recommend a jacket at a decent price that will help keep me warn and seen while out running at nights? Rain proof would be good as well.

I have a Ronhill jacket which in windproof put the material is very thin.

Obviously I know that I may be asking a bit to much as the idea is that they stay breathable and light, but I thought I would ask anyway. Otherwise, what else do people to to stay warm? Last winter, I used the above jacket and a long sleeve t-shirt but since taking up running, I've lost weight and now feel the cold a bit more.

10/12/2012 at 19:21

Thermal base layer and windproof gilet for me. If very cold I put a l/s t-shirt on as well (or any combination of the above).

Would never run in a jacket.

10/12/2012 at 21:36

Run faster to get warmer

11/12/2012 at 08:20

i wear a merino thermal top such as helly hansen and then if it's really cold a tracksuit top or if it's wet a waterproof jacket. i like the brooks nightlife 2.  

11/12/2012 at 22:09

It's minus 2 and I just ran home in merino baselayer (love it!), long sleeve asics top and thin gilet.   Perfect.  I have an Asics storm shelter jacket but find it too  hot and  never wear it. 

12/12/2012 at 17:04

I bought a karrimor x-lite as it was stupid cheap from sport direct. It is really thin and I have found it warm enough, I think thats what's underneath it is more important, baselayer and tech t-shirt at the moment and have been warm enough...and I'm a generally cold person.

13/12/2012 at 11:37

The requirements are tough based on the first post!

The Ronhill Windlite jackets are very thin and are only water-resistant. A lot of running jackets are also thin / lighweight like that but some of the Gore soft-shell feel and are warmer whilst being very waterproof too.

The thing is you might need to pay a bit extra to tick all the boxes. The Ronhill jackets are now about £50 and the prices in our range go up to £180 for a lovely Ashmei which does fit the bill.

You not get high-visibility from all colours but the trim is always reflective and you can always use bibs or clip on lights for extra. Anyway, check out our range here:

http://www.lansonrunning.com/running-clothes/running-jackets/

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.