JJB Sports "Serious About Running" - they must be joking!

JJB Sports

1 to 20 of 141 messages
11/08/2004 at 20:30
Has anyone spotted the advert in the London Marathon Magazine from JJB Sports "Serious about running". Well I thought I'd test this out at my local branch and fair enough I found a pair of Adidas Supernovas. However it appears that JJB dont stock half sizes!

So I contacted their customer services and the response was "Unfortunately we are unable to stock half sizes in a majority of our range as we simply do not have the capacity to carry the stock.

You should also be aware that the actual fit of a trainer varies between manufacturers and as we carry a vast range there should always be enough choice for a customer to make a decision from."

Serious about running - they must be having a laugh!
11/08/2004 at 20:55
bling bling chav scum shop, innit?
11/08/2004 at 21:41
their serious about running until they come up against a serious runner, ask for a well cushioned stabil shoe and you`ll be told they dont look good with jeans..
11/08/2004 at 21:44
Behave.

Not JJB but JD. I was in JD years ago looking at the running section (when I used to do the odd 10K), and was told that Nike Tuned Air was "excellent for runnin' because it had air bubble, innit". Classy!
11/08/2004 at 22:49
anyone fancy taking watchdog in a few stores with a hidden camera?

cringeworthy.
11/08/2004 at 23:00
One chap in Allsports told me Nike Shox were great for running. Do they mean running to the chip shop?
11/08/2004 at 23:55
I had a great experience in Lillywhites when I went in with a pair of Asics looking for a replacement. I said I knew that model wasn't made any more but I was very happy with it so could I have a pair in whatever the replacement model was. The salesman said they didn't have that model but did have another pair in another make that was the same colour! They may well have, I didn't stick around long enough to check.
12/08/2004 at 08:18
I went to JJB a while ago looking for some serious running shoes and none of the staff Ispoke to had any knowledge of pronation, neutral cushioning or stability but these ones look good sir, very popular model.
Instead I went to Northern Runner in Newcastle and the staff there took the time to fit me out correctly,
How a proper "serious about running" shop should be.
12/08/2004 at 08:21
I got a nice running top from JJB.

One thing I can't work out about the shox and the like is what happens in the mud? I guess it all clogs up nastily.
12/08/2004 at 12:35
...only 'cos your a bloke.

according to my local JJB 'manufacturers don't make running kit for women, all women run in mens kit' . Yeah, right....
12/08/2004 at 12:36
..so they are only serious about blokes running, then?
12/08/2004 at 12:40
can your local JJB pronounce the word 'manufacturers'?

blimey - that's five whole syllables

most chavs now believe that they subsist on 'greggs pies' and they wear 'nike shoos' because polysylllabic words like 'pasties' ans 'trainers' are getting a bit difficult for them

hence JD and JJB, and Sunny D

presumably lillywhites will change to LLW soon to avoid alienating its key demographic
12/08/2004 at 12:43
ok. they may NOT have used the word 'manufacturer' - but you get the idea! ;)

lilywhites always remind me of

<ahem>

a particular type of sanitary product around in the 70's ha ha ha
12/08/2004 at 14:22
U obvisiously not JD innit. R U DJ?

BTW, I got stopped by one of the staff in JD as I was walking out with 3 copies of Marathon News. Twas OK once I explained to the tw@t that the magazine was achtually free.
12/08/2004 at 15:16
Me too, trinity! I'm glad it's not just me.

But then, I used to get embarrassed when I saw Dufour bumper stickers on cars and wondered how people could be so blatant.
12/08/2004 at 18:14
no - you've lost me on dufour!

(Dr lillywhites, tho' - shudder -) GRIM GRIM GRIM

(should hasten they belonged to my mum, though, not me!)
12/08/2004 at 18:22
i wonder if JJB know about all the free 'advertising' we give them?
12/08/2004 at 18:50
To my mind Dufour sounds just too much like Durex. I keep having to remind myself which is which.
12/08/2004 at 22:15
hey maybe they'll sponsor that rubbish chap.
Moe
13/08/2004 at 11:27
Bought my first pair of shoes for running (wouldn't call them running shoes) from JJB, when I told the guy I was running the Marathon he asked "how fars that then?"............. I know, I should have twigged then!

I ran a 10k in them....... well I say ran, more like hobbled! Then I joined the local running club and was guided to what I really needed............. a pub........ no! a proper running retailer.

I've e-mailed JJB (and just for interest CC'ed it to Trading Standards)telling them my story and what I think of their claim.

I often pop in to see if they've got any better and sometimes test them a little......... its cruel really, but fun!
1 to 20 of 141 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.