Just what do I need

8 messages
29/09/2002 at 10:34
So on looking at the many different sites for running gear, there is so much out there. I have just started to run outside on an evening with a runing club - winter is fast approaching - just what do I need ? My mind is spinning with all that is available.
Help :O)
Mandy
29/09/2002 at 13:33
Presuming that you already have shorts, a t-shirt and some comfortable running shoes - I would recommend that you get a long sleeved wicking top and a pair of ron hill tracksters for colder days. If its really cold wear your t-shirt under the long sleeved top.

If you're going out in the rain I would recommend a wind and rainproof gilet e.g. TNF Trail Vest as these keep the worst of the wet off without getting too sweaty underneath unlike most waterproofs. A gilet coupled with a waterproof baseball cap is all I use in the rain. You might want to consider some gloves when it gets very cold as your hands tend to feel it.
29/09/2002 at 13:58
Gloves definitely a good idea, plus wind/shower proof and long sleeve. If you can stand looking a little bit of a pansy, get lycra tights rather than Ron Hill tracksters - I used to wear the tracksters and (once a sufficient amount of socks had been applied to the crotch area to look sufficiently manly) having tried tights, can definitely recommend them - much better temperature regulation of legs.
29/09/2002 at 18:36
not too worried about looking a pansy but putting socks down my tights (being female!!) would certainly give cause for concern
AL
29/09/2002 at 20:21
Are these motion control socks? Or are you an underpronator!
Sorry, couldn't stop myself there.
29/09/2002 at 20:23
I find the most heavily padded ones appear to aid my "development" the most...
29/09/2002 at 23:06
should link this to the sock thread... could be a market over here for all those bad buy too thick thorlos.......
01/10/2002 at 21:45
to return to the original subject...
How far north are you Mandy? Are you likely to be really cold or just a bit chilly? I swear by my fleecy line tights for when the weather goes cold (under 43'F) with a thermal top and windproof top. Also thermal gloves and a woolly hat.
And those too thick for summer Thorlo socks.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.