LenserH7 or Fenix HP10

Which head torch

21 to 40 of 56 messages
21/10/2010 at 11:12
SteveC,

Satisficing - interesting article on Wiki.

I doubt there is much between the Lenser and the Fenix but the issue of the third head band on the Fenix swung although I actually prefer the functionality of the lenser.

Such is the joy of the web that we can scrutinise every minor aspect of any product we so desire!
21/10/2010 at 12:26
Good point about the over-the-head band. I found that necessary with the somewhat heavier Princeton Tec Apex headlight, but the Lenser H7 is sufficiently light that I don't feel I need one. Mind you, that was last year, I might feel different soon
21/10/2010 at 17:24

I've a Petzl Myo RXP, which is fractionally lighter than the Fenix, and it's quite pleasant to run with. It also has the over-the-top band.

(If anyone wants to purchase me a Petzl Ultra or Silva Alpha, I'd be happy to test them and report back.)

Rennur

22/10/2010 at 01:00
They reviewed head torches in this months Trail Running Magazine. The Lenser H7 came top and won best in test but the Fenix wasn't in the test.

Worth noting there is a rechargeable version of the H7 called the H7R which while £20 more on Amazon would probably save that in batteries. I plan on buying it at some point cause I can't face the next 6 months on streets. When I do I'll post my opinion, if I remember.
22/10/2010 at 07:53
I would not buy a rechargable head torch rather I would buy rechargable batteries that could be used in a head torch.
22/10/2010 at 09:48

I believe the H7R is exactly the same as the H7 except it had an extra socket for plugging the charger into and the batteries are rechargeable ones. I believe the rechargeable batteries can be removed and alkaline or lithium batteries can also be used.

I tested the HP10 last night in the garden and the light it produces is nothing short of amazing. From what I saw last night, it can produce more light than you would reasonably require for simply running on the road. This is at the higher settings, the lower settings produce a good useable level of light. The lighter Lenser which has a slightly lower lumen level would probably be ideal for roads. I plan to do a 10 mile road run early newt week and will report back on how it performs.

Where the HP10 is likely to come into its own is if you are running off road. I also have some 10K off road races coming up over the next few months which will be a good test.

22/10/2010 at 10:51
one of the triathlon mags (can't remember if it's 220 or Triathlon+) have a review of torches in this month's issue - including the Lenser, Fenix and Petzl models

if I recall correctly all 3 scored 80%+ with the Petzl MyoXP just shading the others as best.

23/10/2010 at 15:33
I'll be interested to see your opinions of its off road use as thats my main reason for wanting a headtorch.

The review I saw had the MyoXP slightly below the Lenser. I get the feeling it may be all very much of a muchness when your up to around the £40-£50 marker.
23/10/2010 at 23:21

I took the Fenix torch out for the first time tonight, waited until it was pretty much dark at about 6.30 and set off on a 20 miler. The first 10 mins or so I was playing around with it to get it to sit nicely and point where I wanted it. Found the sweet spot and from there until the end it was no trouble whatsoever. By the time I was home I was happy to take it off but that could easily be down to me having it done up too tight. I'll play around with that more in time. Overall though the fit was incredibly stable, it never felt too tight, it never felt like it might fall off, it didn't bounce around at all. Having the top band over the head really helps I think.

As for the light it game off, I was very happy with it. I found myself flitting between the 50 and 120 lumen levels. On country lanes in the middle of nowhere (i.e. dark) 50 was fine, on even trails 50 was fine most of the time. When I got onto the Ridgeway it was quite slippy and the ground isn't even so for most of that I used it on 120 and again it was fine. Takes a little bit of getting used to but that will be the same with any torch. I never once felt like I didn't have sufficient light, or that I had to run slower than normal because it was dark. On bits where you didn't have to watch your footing quite so much 50 was usually just about ok too.

Scariest bit was going up a really narrow road with trees either side and over the top, owls calling out constantly and thinking of the Blair Witch Project! Then later on I suddenly noticed two pairs of eyes looking at me, so freaky! Overall though it was a great run, very liberating knowing that just because it's dark it doesn't mean you can't keep running.

I would definitely recommend the Fenix light. I know I've not used the Lenser so can't directly compare, but those were the two I was choosing between. The biggest thing going for the Lenser for me was the focus system, I thought I might miss that on the Fenix but really, you don't need to adjust anything. Having a regulated supply and decent waterproofing imo are much more userful features.

cougie    pirate
25/10/2010 at 02:39
When its really cold your breath fogs up the light - you have to try and breathe out of the beam !
25/10/2010 at 09:05

I would agree with Shawk's review.

I did a 10 mile run this morning and found the Fenix to be comfortable and stable. I generally used the second lowest setting which is 50 lumens and used that for the majority of the run. The odd time I went up to 120 lumens but generally found the 50 lumen setting ideal.

I was running beside a dual carriageway, against the flow of traffice, and the Fenix provided all I needed.

It is a great torch. 

25/10/2010 at 09:41
you might find running with a thin hat or buff under the band will help comfort on long runs

and as cougs says breath fog in the cold can take a while to get used to - at least it's telling you that you're still breathing!!
25/10/2010 at 20:53

Yeah foggy breath was a bit of a pain, you need to shut your eyes when you drink too otherwise when your hand cuts the beam you blind yourself!

25/10/2010 at 22:56

Have a look at Black Diamond head torches. I have the ICON which I believe puts out 100 lumens and has a range of 100 metres. Weight 188g and a very good battery life.

One advantage of the Petzl mentioned above is that it can take lithium batteries which are considerably lighter than standard betteries and have a much longer life.

26/10/2010 at 09:47

I believe the Fenix HP10 can also take litium batteries but when I was researching the Lenser, I couldn't find any mention of it using lithiums. I'm not sure if there is any difference to an appliance if the power supply is lithium or alkaline.

26/10/2010 at 20:22

Usually it is considered an advantage if the torch can use lithiums for the reasons mentioned above and because of their long shelf life (typically 12 -14 years).  It means that if you don't use the torch for a long time you know that the batteries will still work when you need it.

It's just another plus point to consider when comparing torches.

05/11/2010 at 10:31

Interested in what you have had to say here

I have a alpkit gamma and a pretzl tikka XP.  They are about the same but prefer the alpkit as it has a red light on the back and like the original poster I like the over the top strap, my tikka keeps slipping down and annoying me.

I am looking for something brighter for more off road ultras as although the 2 I have are OK on the streets when I go off road I still dont feel very confident.

i was swaying towards the Fenix for the top strap and the H7 for the weight.  would be interested in how anyone compares the two and when on the higher setting how much brighter are they than the 2 I have which are both about 50L I think

I also found this, any comments http://www.lumenjunkies.co.uk/Cree%20Q5%20Headlamp

looks like it has the same sort of L but lasts less time due to battery life, could carry spare batteries I suppose! Any other disads to this one?

05/11/2010 at 10:54

I did an 8 miler a few nights ago on unlit 'B' roads in the middle of the countryside. It was pitch black with nothing more than star and moonlight.

I ran with the Fenix on the 120 lumen setting and it provided more than enough light. I actually ran some of the way on the lower 50 lumen setting but after using the 120 level, the 50 level seemed a bit dull. The 50 lumen level is adequate for roads but I thought I might as well benefit from the more powerful 120 level. At 120 lumens I could make road signs and cats eyes twinkle at a distance of around 200 - 250 metres. The Fenix is also waterproof which sounds a bit extreme for running but at least you know any sweat or condensation shouldn't cause it any problems. I'm not sure how waterproof the Lenser is. The Fenix also has a regulated power supply which is good. 

The weight isn't an issue for me on the runs I have done with it (up to 10 miles). I don't have a Lenser to compare it to but I do like the idea that you can control the lighting levels and not be stuck to presets. Although in reality, I suspect I would end up using it at an unnecessarily high level and burning through the batteries.

It is best to think of the Fenix as a 120 lumen torch as the 225 lighting level is only available in 3 minute blasts. I am doing a night race through a forest next week and that should be a good test for it.

I am very impressed with the build quality. 

05/11/2010 at 11:41

The 225L level is ideal for night time navigation when you need the extra power to spot attack points way off into the distance. For all other times the 120L is more than enough and keep in mind the fenix can supply that 120L level all night long!

05/11/2010 at 17:52

thanks for those comments

Can you switch between power levels on the H7

21 to 40 of 56 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.