LenserH7 or Fenix HP10

Which head torch

1 to 20 of 56 messages
18/10/2010 at 19:59
I need to buy a head torch as I have some winter 10k races through forests and hillsides coming up. I will also use it to run 10 miles into and 10 miles out of work alongside a road.

I have read various reviews and posts regarding the above and just can't make up my mind which one to go for. Each has pros and cons which I see as:

Lenser H7
German made (possible pro), lighter weight (approx. 155g), infinite number of lighting levels, very bright 170 lumen max, no 3rd strap to head band (my biggest worry is it slipping down my head when running), not sure how waterproof it is (not a deal breaker)

Fenix HP10
Waterproof, ridiculous max of 225 lumen, heavier weight (approx. 230g) due to larger AA batteries, does have a 3rd head strap so should be stable.

I have ruled out the Petzl Myo XP on the grounds the above torches are similar prices but offer superior levels of light.

Anyone want to chip in and help me with my dilema?
cougie    pirate
18/10/2010 at 21:56

Not used either of those but i run happily in the pitch black on bike paths with an Alpkit Gamma.

If I was racing cross country then I'd need a bit more illumination. I do have a couple of Fenix normal torches and they are fantastic though - great pieces of kit.

19/10/2010 at 08:58
Why not buy them both and then send the one back you don't like. New distance selling regulations mean you have 7 days to return the product; no quibbles.

That's what I would do because until you have them both you won't really know.

Loving Outdoors
19/10/2010 at 09:17
nice plug for you website Scott but can I suggest you read the forum T&Cs?? they say no commercial advertising

so please pay like all those over here --------------------------->>>
19/10/2010 at 09:29
We have been over there before, just not on there at the moment.

To be honest I find it is better to be super clear where I am from on forums especially when helping people with advice; newbies and veterans. Don't want to appear bias.

I can assure you "fat buddha" I certainly won't be trying to push sales. I am here for the same reason everyone else is, to follow the running community and get/offer advice.

One question...your nickname on here. Do you practice? Reason I ask is because went to a temple with some friends a while ago in Lake District to learn meditation and really enjoyed it. Was Manjushri Mahayana Buddhist Centre
19/10/2010 at 09:42
Scott,

Thanks for the suggestion.
I am well aware of the distance selling regulations and it is a good idea.
However, it relies on me getting round to sending one of them back.

I shall consider it.

Smalleyboy
19/10/2010 at 09:50
scott - it might be easier leaving your website link off any replies - that way you won't get the wrath of the forum.. (it's on your name anyway so that should suffice)

"One question...your nickname on here. Do you practice?"

all I will say is HAHAHAHAHA... I am a complete agnostic/borderline atheist - the name comes from the way I look when I sit like my avatar. yes - I have that pot belly look! although if I was to look at adopting any religion, then buddhism would come closest to my life ethics...
19/10/2010 at 11:12
ha ha, funny!

Thanks for the suggestion with the link, you are right probably better to leave it out to avoid upsetting people here.

"Smalleyboy" - Hope you get it sorted, think they are both good head torches so you can't really go too wrong with either I think.
19/10/2010 at 11:35
scott - as an aside - I see you sell the Q-link products.

do you believe all that SRT bollocks or is it just a good money spinner?? if you do believe it you might want to add your tenpennorth to the rubber hologram bands thread on this page which is like a sceptics convention - we need fresh meat to rip the piss out of....
Edited: 19/10/2010 at 11:36
19/10/2010 at 11:43
I am not sure I am mentally ready for the wrath that happens on these forums just yet!

I was defo a sceptic but it has helped me beyond the expectations of a placebo. It was pushed predominantly to golfers in the States in 2009, sold 1 million units and now 350 touring golf pro's wear one like Nick Faldo.

I would put something in the sceptics forum but then they would all end up wanting one and they wouldn't have anything to take the piss out of anymore! ha ha OM might throw me off the forum!
19/10/2010 at 12:04
nah - if you believe it, post on there. we're unlikely to be persuaded to part with the top $ you're asking for but who knows??
19/10/2010 at 13:04
I've got an HP10, but so far all I've done is wave it around a bit in the back garden.
It's quite bright!
No idea if it's any good to run with though
19/10/2010 at 15:47
Ian M,

Does it feel heavy or cumbersome when you are wearing it?
I like the extra head strap it has compared with the Lenser L7 but it weighs approx 75 grammes more than the L7.

I know 75 grammes isn't much but on your head for a couple of hours it might make a difference.

Why not put your trainers on tonight and venture out into the darkness and give us all a review tomorrow?!
19/10/2010 at 15:52
What? Go outside? And get wet?!!
I'll think about it
19/10/2010 at 18:32
I have the fenix and have used it on all night ultras. The top strap makes it a very comfortable unit, VERY bright with outstanding battery life. In truth I can not fault it simply superb bit of kit all round.
19/10/2010 at 19:29
There I was leaning towards the Lenser and now it is swinging back towards the Fenix.

Does anyone out there have the Lenser H7 and want to tell me how great or otherwise it is?
19/10/2010 at 21:08
Right, I'm back from battling through the elements to test out the hp10.
Run was farm tracks, open fields and woodland footpaths and bridleways with a bit of drizzle.
The light is nice and bright, stable and very comfy, pretty much equivalent to wearing a cap imo. Lights up the trails well, though depth perception isn't on par with daylight so got caught by the occasional stone and wet root, but I don't think that can be blamed on the light.
The only slight niggle is that it would be nice if the power level button was on the top and the on/off on the left, but it's a pretty minor niggle.
20/10/2010 at 09:31

Ian M,

Sterling effort.

Thanks for posting the results of your late night foray into the darkness. I have decided to order an HP10 on the strength of the various positive reviews I have read, including yours.

Thanks once again.

20/10/2010 at 13:51
I was in the market for a head torch and had it down to these two also, have just ordered the Fenix. Will post my opinion once I've taken it out for a run.
20/10/2010 at 23:42
I used the lenser all last winter here in norway on ski trails and fire roads and it saved me having a much bulkier silva or some orienteering type. There's enough spread and brightness to not get that weird tunnel vision thing. The fenix would be great too, no doubt. Bear in mind that if you take the log of the ratio between the two outputs x 10 you have the decibel difference, which is better for senses and isn't much difference. I'd go by any reports of comfort problems, beam spread, ergonomics etc. Also I would look up satisficing on wikipedia
Edited: 20/10/2010 at 23:44
1 to 20 of 56 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.