Lidl's running gear

What do you think about it?

15 messages
03/08/2007 at 21:09
From Monday, 6 August Lidl has some very reasonable offers for running and walking clothes (jackets, shirts, trousers). You can find them online here: www.lidl.co.uk.

I have just taken up running and wasn't really going to buy any special clothes yet (apart from shoes, which I have), but seeing that these offers seem to be rather reasonable indeed, I was wondering whether it would be worth splurging. Don't know what to look out for in running clothes, and what the do's and dont's are, so would appreciate your opinion on the Lidl gear.

Thanks!
03/08/2007 at 21:11
I still use the stuff I bought in 2005, its brilliant. I have stuff I bought last year as well tucked away for a rainy day. I think I will need to go and buy some more stuff on Monday.
03/08/2007 at 21:13
Hello namepending - i also got some good stuff from lidl. Got some running pants which are great and a jacket that is brill. Their socks are comfy too.

you don't need to spend a fortune on good stuff
03/08/2007 at 21:24
is good budget price kit

Aldi gear is very good too and should be in for a limited time in a couple of months

03/08/2007 at 21:49
Most Lidl clothes don't go down to a small enough size for me, though this time I'm going to go and check out the sports bras.

I like Aldi kit :o)
03/08/2007 at 22:00
It's good stuff. Their running socks are top notch and just as good as socks costing six times as much.

The tops and tights are also excellent, although sizing can be a bit wayward. And know your continental sizes before setting out.

The shorts weren't much good, though.
03/08/2007 at 22:46
I prefer the Aldi stuff but wouldn't turn my nose up at Lidl stuff at all... my winter running gear from last year is still wearing well so I'll just buy the one set of everything this time round :-)
04/08/2007 at 17:16
Thanks for all your replies; very helpful! Just a pity they only have long-sleeved stuff.

Velociraptor - might be the same for me re sizes. I might just buy a 12 though (which is the smallest they have) and return it in case it's too big.

Muttley - as I'm from Lidl country myself, continental sizes are what I'm most comfortable with anyway.

Buney - can we take that as valuable insider knowledge? :-)

EdinburghKev - see you in store on Monday then. ;-)

04/08/2007 at 17:24
Namepending, firstly many thanks for telling us about the gear, i dont get the Lidls fliers in the freebie papers anymore..Ive got gear from both Aldi and lidl and they are sooooo much cheaper than any sports shop, the tops i got last year and have been brill but like Muttley said just be a bit careful with the sizing..cheers :-)
04/08/2007 at 17:29
Macca ... visit Lidl's website and sign up for their emails. Ditto Aldi.
04/08/2007 at 17:33
Cheers Muttley, off work next week so its lidls first thing monday morning..
04/08/2007 at 17:39
Also, the two chains often have similar "specials" at similar times. Apparently they're run by different branches of the same family and were initially one brand until a big falling-out, whereupon one lot set up in competition to the other. I think this is why you often find Lidls and Aldis not too far away from each other as well.

This is what I've been told but I could be talking bollox (has been known ...)
04/08/2007 at 19:10
All I know is that the two brothers owning Aldi are the richest people in Germany, but keep an extremely low profile.
06/08/2007 at 10:39
Thanks again for recommending the Lidl gear. Dug deep and am now the very proud owner of a complete set of running clothes.

Was surprised that they seem to get in random sizes though - was there right when the shop opened this morning, and they only had exactly one size 12 jacket and pair of trousers each, but numerous shirts.

Anyway, now the weather only has to get worse, so that I can wear my long-sleeved gear. ;-)
06/08/2007 at 10:58
Ive got stuff from Lidl and Aldi. Good stuff. Hardweaing and very reasonable. Especially for a pauper like me. Thanks for the heads up about the latest sale.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
15 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.