Made in England

..performance running apparel made in uk?

16 messages
26/07/2005 at 22:08
Does anyone know of anyone who makes performance running apparel (wicking/lycra/climate control etc etc) manufactured in the UK?

I know of outdoor gear and bike kit made here, but can't find any running kit - and the various 'ethical shopping' type websites all direct me to companies who think cotton is still a good material for sportwear. However fairtrade and organic it may be, it still won't wick sweat worth a damn....

Cheers folks.
26/07/2005 at 22:13
New Balance shoes are made in the UK. Not sure about their kit though.
26/07/2005 at 22:16
Actually, I'm an ex NB employee.... all the apparel is still sourced from the far east or various bits of europe.

Thanks for the reply though!!
27/07/2005 at 22:08
C'mon, someone must know something....??
28/07/2005 at 08:18
Ron Hill, Viga, Wasp?

Don't know just thought some of the smaller companies my be UK based
28/07/2005 at 09:01
Ahh, good point Gumps, I'll check....
Calf    pirate
28/07/2005 at 14:31
I know the forum running tops we have are made in England. Not sure where and by who thou?

Calf    pirate
28/07/2005 at 14:31
Oh and Walsh fell running shoes, if falling down hills is something your interested in!
28/07/2005 at 23:02
Hiya Calf's, I do do falling down hills bigtime, living in the lakes it's not really optional, but go for the New Balance option on footwear - I have got a forum running vest, should have thought of that first - Wasp sports are the supplier, they seem to be what I've been looking for, ta.
28/07/2005 at 23:23
Wonder where the Running Bear gear is made. Especially good for the lakes. Also, up your way, is Pete Bland Sports. Both have web sites: runningbear.co.uk and peteblandsports.co.uk
29/07/2005 at 07:26
Ron Hill is made in Sutton in Ashfield by Ridgeway Textiles.
29/07/2005 at 07:47
Paramo based in Wadhurst, East Sussex make excellent gear, mainly for mountaineering / hill walking but with wicking T-Shirts etc. Although not manufactured in the UK they are made in Colombia as part of a social program providing valuable skills to 'at risk' women seeking an improvement in their life.

OK - it doesn't answer your question but if you're concerned about being an ethical consumer then they're worth a look.

www.paramo.co.uk
29/07/2005 at 09:14
Slowboy,

The Observer in last sunday's magazine said that New Balance did make their stuff in the UK. The magazine was doing an environment/ethical Q&A and the question was basically where can I buy ethical UK running gear.

Is this not the case?
29/07/2005 at 09:35
As Alehouse said the running bear shop have make a lot of their own stuff (running bear and mountain bear), I think at the shop which is in Alderley Edge, Cheshire.
29/07/2005 at 09:45
Ed Mck, I already wear Paramo!!

Piers, NB do make their shoes in the UK, but when I was there (up until 18 months ago) all the clothing was sourced from abroad.

Thanks for all the replies folks, looks like I've got a few options now....
01/08/2005 at 20:59
Boing for Robin Hanson

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
16 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.