Minimal/Barefoot Running Shoes for wide feet

21 to 30 of 30 messages
25/09/2012 at 22:27
+1 for the NB 110. Got me through a 50k trail race last month with no problems. I also have wide feet. If those shoes are good enough for Tony Kupricka then they are good enough for me.
26/09/2012 at 12:45

I can barely get my foot into the NB 110 - I really wish I -could- wear them, but they're so narrow in the midfoot, there's no way they can work for me.

26/09/2012 at 16:23
Hi Debra.... Maybe the ladies shoe is on a different last but these things are far from narrow, I mean really far from being narrow. I'd say they are baggy!
28/09/2012 at 08:35

I've had a similar experience to Debra re. the NB110s - narrow in the midfoot.  I tried a size up and the midfoot was fine, but the shoes were now too long.  I've recently found shoes that do fit and I've just purchased a pair of Vivo Barefoot Neos and a pair of Vivo Barefoot Evos.

The fit of these shoes is just 'spot on'.

Thank you all, for taking the trouble to respond to my original posting; it is always interesting and useful, to hear the experiences of others.

28/09/2012 at 08:50

Hi Andy, really glad we've all been able to help. Enjoy the VBs!

28/09/2012 at 08:57

Oh yes; regarding 'minimal' & barefoot shoes, I really feel that New Balance are missing out in this market.

New Balance are known for offering a choice of widths for their shoes; but if you actually look at their website, width fittings are available for only a few shoes - ones that are rather heavy in construction.  

I bought my first New Balance shoes nearly 30 years ago (I think they were called NB 730s or 735s - really great shoes) and I've been a loyal customer until now.  

I think that the NB shoes are brilliant; I love the NB 110s and the Minimus range; if I could find some that actually fit, I'd buy quite a few pairs.  However, they don't now sell the type of shoes that I'd like to buy.  They don't offer width fittings for any barefoot or road racing shoes; so for these, I've spent my money elsewhere. 

28/09/2012 at 09:29
Debra Bourne wrote (see)

VivoBarefoot Neos. Great width, including both midfoot and toe box.

And I agree about the New Balance. Why on earth they decided to offer their minimalist shoes ONLY in narrow (B) fitting, I've no idea. Merrells are too narrow for me as well, so I'm very glad I've got the option of the Neos.

MarieB wrote (see)

+ 1 for the VivoBarefoot Neos and I agree with Debra comments.

I'm a size 4 and I have the VivoBarefoot Neo's in a size 5. I also have them in the trail version, but these are in a 4 as I found the 5's to be too long, but the 4's seem bigger than normal Neo's size.

I tried the Merelle gloves, but I found these were too narrow and the size 5 were too long!  

Shoes smell like horse piss wrote (see)

Vivos are looking good for m e then. I tried on the merrel Trail Glove recently - blimey they're narrow!

Didn't realise the NB minimus were only in narrow - good to know.

So need a size up on the neos then?

I find it interesting, that others have had exactly the same experience and found the NB & Merrell shoes to be too narrow !

. . . . . . . & we've only found what we want, in the Vivobarefoot range.

NB & Merrell - listen to what people want !

'Well done', Vivobarefoot !

28/09/2012 at 09:35
Debra Bourne wrote (see)

Hi Andy, really glad we've all been able to help. Enjoy the VBs!

Cheers Debra,

You have been a big help; it's great to hear from someone, who has had the same experiences.

I've just bought some more shoes - I now have 4 pairs of shoes made by Vivobarefoot; I like to buy a few pairs, just in case they stop making shoes that I like . . . and actually fit !

All the best,

Andy

28/09/2012 at 10:35
Debra Bourne wrote (see)

VivoBarefoot Neos. Great width, including both midfoot and toe box.

They also do a trail version, which is good. I'm about to find out whether the new Inov8 Trailroc are wide enough - they've been listening to people so brought out some low trail shoes using their Anatomical last - but I've not manged to try them on yet.

Have you tried the VivoBarefoot Neo Trails ?

I'd like to do some longer trail runs - 30 miles(ish).  If I were to buy some of the Neo Trails, do you think it would be advisable to get a size larger than the standard  (road) Neos ?  Presumably, I'd need a larger size, to allow for swollen feet ?

Oh yes, is there any appreciable difference, between the Neo Trails & the Breatho Trails ?

Any advice much appreciated ! 

Edited: 28/09/2012 at 10:59
28/09/2012 at 15:52

Look back a page. I like the Neo Trails. They seem to be slightly larger than the "same size" road/multiterrain Neos - so the Neos size 38 are comfortable for me with twinskins; the size 37 Neos are so snug I can only wear them with no or very thin socks, while I can wear the size 37 Neo Trail with twinskins, comfortably. The only time I've worn my larger pair (38) were for the NDW50 which was on a hot day (so I was worried about swelling). Not tried the Breathos.

I have a couple extra pairs of (road) Neos size 37 which I've not worn yet and would happily sell if I found someone who wanted them (unlikely, at this size), and get more size 38s.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 30 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.