Mizumo wave inspire 10

Shoe upper splitting

18 messages
13/07/2014 at 18:10

Anyone else had a problem with the new wave inspires, my default shoe of choice for years but the latest version split behind the toe cap after only a few months, happened on two pairs now  in six months 

14/07/2014 at 21:00

Haven't had that happen with mine yet, but it doesn't surprise me. They are very lightweight and rather thin on the uppers.

17/07/2014 at 21:18

Two paIRS in four months , retailer has been fantastic but it seems worrying 

04/09/2014 at 21:22

Yep, various splits appearing. The one fault of a great trainer. 

19/09/2014 at 18:40

First pair bought in Feb and after relatively low mileage due to an injury (200km) before the uppers split just behind the toe cap. I had these replaced by Start Fitness but due to timings I had to buy another pair (from Sweatshop) to have some shoes to run in on holiday.

I'd only done 120km in those ones when the same thing occurred. Sweatshop refunded me rather than replacing them as they said it was a 'recurring issue'. 

I'm now in the replacements for the first pair and have ordered a pair of Wave Paradox with the refund credit from Sweatshop.

It's a real shame as I love the Inspires. I've been through a few pairs of 8's, and 9's and had no problems with the uppers at all. I'll see how the Paradox perform although I'm concerned it is a heavier shoe. Hopefully they will sort things out with the Inspire 11's.

21/09/2014 at 12:51

I use the Inspire 10 and haven't had a problem with the uppers so far, though I've only done about 50 miles in them. 

The one ongoing problem I seem to have with them is the sole of the right shoe seeming to rub under my 1st and 2nd metatarsal heads. Uncomfortable enough that I've started thinking about returning them to the manufacturer.

No problems with the left shoe. Bizarre. 

22/09/2014 at 21:11

The problem with the uppers seems to happen suddenly. After the first pair went I was vigilant with the next ones checking them after each run. The left one went first, the right one on the next run.

On my feet at least the flex point seems to fall exactly across the back of the toe box where it joins onto the upper. I assume this is causing a stress point in the material which eventually becomes the hole. 

23/09/2014 at 13:47

Probably an issue with the material being overstressed by the movement in the flexion point, as you describe. Will keep my eye on mine as I keep using them & will let you know if it happens. 

24/09/2014 at 22:28

Yep - same happened to me , 2 pairs in 6 months 

06/10/2014 at 22:13

Me too! On my second pair - Runners Need changed the first pair - happening quicker with the new ones. Thought it may have been just me. Any suggestions for same type of shoe but more robust / better wearing?

13/10/2014 at 19:06

I have used Inspires for years but really not happy with the latest shoe. I have bunions so always look for some support on the upper part of the shoe but this latest incarnation seems mostly to be just mesh which is fine on the weight count but for me does not hold my foot as snug as I would like, hence a nice hole on the side in under two months. i have just got some NB 860's which seem more stable if a bit heavier, hopefully Mizuno will return to function over form in the next model..

13/10/2014 at 21:54

The next incarnate of the Inspire looks very good and a definite return to previous models.  

18/10/2014 at 15:52

Just found this. You can't navigate to it on the site but the direct link works.

http://www.mizunocda.com/running/mens/running-shoes/support/wave-inspire-11

I'm not really feeling the love for the Wave Paradox, too much support for me and the extra weight is noticeable. I've returned to my remaining pair of Inspire 10's and will use these until they drop to bits (shouldn't be long ). 

18/10/2014 at 22:36

My Inspire 10s are still in good nick and I'm still feeling the love - no holes or tears. I must have drawn the lucky pair. 

Paradox look like a very different kind of shoe to me. I'd resort to duct tape until the next version comes along....

Edited: 18/10/2014 at 22:36
19/10/2014 at 07:25
They've not split, but I'm having a related problem: the upper is "folding" as the foot flexes, resulting in rubbing and blistering on my second toe. It was doing it on both feet, but I've experimented with different lacing patterns (missing out one of the bottom lace holes) and that has helped a bit. Still having to tape up one toe though.
Edited: 19/10/2014 at 07:26
19/10/2014 at 10:19

I wonder if it is a sizing issue, perhaps the shoe fits slightly too big on some of you? Whilst being long enough that they don't rub the tops of my toes or put pressure on my nails, they are otherwise quite snug, and there is no puckering or folding.

I'm just mentioning this because I think Mizuno shoes fit half a size bigger than other brands and this can lead to people wearing a slightly bigger shoe than they might otherwise.

Or perhaps it's just the luck of the draw. Still, they're great shoes and if there is a systemic problem I hope they fix it in their next version. 

19/10/2014 at 18:52

Mercedes, for me the size was pretty much spot on with my Inspire 9's, maybe a tiny bit tighter in the toe box but nothing that caused an issue. Going up half a size would have given me clown foot syndrome.

The Paradox aren't vastly different in purpose but are noticeably heavier. They remind me of the Brooks Beast I had a long while ago, lots of support and cushioning. 

Role on the 11's and fingers crossed they are a bit more robust.

19/10/2014 at 19:00

Roll on indeed! I hope they will work for you  

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
18 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.