Motion control Running Shoes

Confused serious over pronator

10 messages
06/03/2013 at 12:07

So my last 3 pairs have trainers have been motion control trainers (Asics gel 8,9 and 10). But I just read an article saying that these are actually bad for your feet and make you pronate more. Very confused and slightly concerned, are they actually that bad or   is propoganda by barefoot/minimal runners? 

06/03/2013 at 12:15
Did they work for you ?

And why did you buy them in the first place ?
Edited: 06/03/2013 at 12:16
06/03/2013 at 12:19

Got gait tested and they were recommended. They seem to work, although I suffer with ITBS regularly, though my physio has said this is down to my hips, tight muscles etc. I am going to get my gait checked again and see what they say, but would like to hear opinions on whether they are potentially causing me harm.

06/03/2013 at 12:40
Your physio didn't seem to think they were causing harm, and if you hadn't read an article you wouldn't even have thought about it
06/03/2013 at 13:14

Asics don't make a shoe called Gel !!

Asics Gel Kayano, Asics Gel Fuji, Asics Gel Evolution etc

Gel is what's in the sole of the shoe

06/03/2013 at 13:18

Oops missed out the word foundation, my mistake. 

06/03/2013 at 13:19

Thanks for pointing out my error, i look forward to your input.

06/03/2013 at 13:26

don't believe everything you read in the press

ITBS issues can happen with any shoes, any gait - it's not the shoes it's the person's body causing the issues.

fundamentally - if the shoe ain't broke and you ain't broke (within reason) stick with what you know

no doubt the barefoot mafia will disagree somehow

06/03/2013 at 13:41

+1 I think FB has nailed it

06/03/2013 at 14:55

Another vote for Fat Buddha.  Ignore the fashionistas who zealously claim that all shoes are 'foot coffins' and are deisgned to actually hurt you in order to propagate the market for support shoes.  I have minimalist shoes and support shoes - for different types of running.  Both are good, but I am not a disciple of either - neither will save my soul nor eat me while I sleep.  

If you are getting along with your shoes, stick with them.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.