New trainers

what do I REALLY need to know

8 messages
04/12/2002 at 22:09
I am very excitedly going to purchase some trainers this week. Have an excellent shop locally that does all the analysis etc (rather scary looking tread mill in the corner of the shop with video etc!)Read all the articles etc but is there anything you guys with experience can share with me before I go - there is always something that only your best friend will tell you!!
04/12/2002 at 23:45
Make sure you deal only with the most attractive assistant in the shop. :-)
05/12/2002 at 10:11
Take your old shoes with you (or your "day" shoes if you a) haven't been running long enough to have worn your current ones in or b) your current running shoes just smell TOO bad). This will give them an idea of where the shoes are worn down, which tells a lot about your gait.

Also, take your running socks with you so that you will know if the shoes fit properly with the socks you will be wearing with them.

Oh, and wash your feet!
05/12/2002 at 16:24
wear trousers or shorts so you can run.
05/12/2002 at 16:42
Try to run as naturally as possible, if you are aware that people are watching you tend to "stiffen up" and your gait isn't totally natural.
05/12/2002 at 16:50
Don't go first thing on the morning as your feet swell slightly in the day. Maybe even have a run before you go (shower after the run!!)
05/12/2002 at 17:16
... and if they don't feel 100% comfortable straight away ... don't buy them.

Oh, and ignore prices altogether until you've found a shoe that you like.
05/12/2002 at 19:17
Thanks for the tips, will be go tomorrow - I'll report back!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.