Newton motion trainers

21 to 33 of 33 messages
18/08/2009 at 18:31
Sure you'll do well, Cougie, now your laces have a bit more "give" and you're easing back into it. Personally I love my Newtons laces - just the right length (for once) and a nice deep red colour to match the shoes. Do I sound like a complete fashion victim?
19/08/2009 at 09:20

Just a little....

i'm with you on that one though,its nice to have laces that are just the right length-although mine are bright orange!

Edited: 19/08/2009 at 09:21
cougie    pirate
19/08/2009 at 11:22
I couldnt find any orange elastic laces - so I've gone with those knotted elastic ones - in pink. I figured I already have fluo yellow and fluo orange on them anyway - one more bright colour cant harm ?
06/02/2013 at 10:43
What happened next?

(Thinking of buying some Newtons, doing the whole searching the forums thing)
cougie    pirate
06/02/2013 at 10:51
I did use them to do a fast half marathon in. But I think half of the speed came from me wanting to take the buggers off as quickly as possible. I can really feel the paddles beneath the shoe.

I don't think the shoes themselves are the key - but the way they make you run is probably more important. You cant really heel strike as there is no heel.

Way overpriced though - I do most of my runs in ??40 shoes these days. I might go back to them in the summer - but I found them no good off road - stones stick inbetween the paddles, and grip in the wet isn't brilliant.

I'd definitely advise elastic laces with them though.
06/02/2013 at 11:55
Cheers cougie. The price puts me off more than anything - as well as the fact that most of my runs are off road. I tried some on in a shop and I know it was making me run better but I don't think I could handle that brick in the shoe feeling.

I've come to the conclusion that a big heel is not for me and is actually causing me injuries - like the current knee knack that is destroying my running life - but I don't want to go the whole way into the world of minimalist shoes. Ah, the turmoil.

Thanks for replying.
cougie    pirate
06/02/2013 at 12:10
No problem. They may have improved the shoes by now - but I just cant see that they're value for money. I'd think just focussing on your running style is the cheapest and the best thing you can do. Good luck with the knee.
06/02/2013 at 12:33

Johnny, have a look at the Saucony range with 4mm heel-to-toe difference (most popular are the Kinvara).  By having a much lower than normal offset (my old Asics were 10mm +) it makes it much easier to run on the mid/forefoot.  I went for the Mirage model, and the last pair I got were £38 in the sales.    

A few years ago Newton were at the forefront of the move away from heel-striking, but all the major brands have started to take notice, so it makes it even more difficult to justify the increased cost of newton shoes.

06/02/2013 at 14:09
Thanks stu. I'm actually very tempted by skechers goruns. cheap as chips at the mo. possibly for good reason...
06/02/2013 at 15:41
I did a Marathon in Newton motions and had no problems at all. My friend loves his Sketchers but I don't know what model.

I think once you have a tender foot you will notice the lugs more and also when they get over about 350 miles use.

I tried Newton Gravities and they seemed to emphasise my tender foot but I think it's an injury not the shoes and I have changed shoes to see if I can help a swift recovery.

I think often we blame equipment when perhaps its just plain overuse, and I am inclined to think I was as much at fault for my problem as my Newtons if I am honest.
08/02/2013 at 10:27

I've had my Motions since May last year. Done about 750 miles in them so far, no sign of needing replacing yet. I think if you run efficiently they end up better value than cushioned shoes where the forefoot disintegrates really quickly because it isn't designed to take the foot strike. With Newtons you aren't compressing the foam - you're compressing rubber into air chambers, so finding they're lasting much longer. I've been really happy with them.

08/02/2013 at 12:14

I have had 2 pairs of Newton motions and have been really happy with them, I used them for 3 marathons last year and part of an ultra this year! The only gripes I have are the price and the grip!

I have now found the Brooks Pure Range to be pretty good cheaper alternatives

13/02/2013 at 10:01
cougie wrote (see)
I bought Newtons in the summer and used them for a week or two of three to five mile runs before building up to a 10 miler in them. I did find my calfs were hurting a bit more than normal - not surprisingly I guess - and then I used them for a half marathon. I was much faster than I thought I should have been for my fitness levels - so I think theres something in it. Then I hurt myself in them - I think I had the laces tied too tight and with all the forefoot striking - that gave me so much pain I thought it was a stress fracture - but it was a tendon thing. Stopped me from running for 2 weeks or more - so I havent gone back to them yet.

This was weirdly my exact same experience with my Nike Free 3.0 v4 - wore them in a bit (about the same as you) then did a HM in a *way* faster time than I was expecting and got severe pain for 2-3 weeks under where the laces were on one foot.  I stopped wearing them again for this reason, but now I've gone back, laced them with a gap and they are great - definately faster to run in (as the apppear to make you lean forward a bit more to avoid the heel strike).  Since then though I noticed I've totally switched to a more comfortable forefoot striking no matter the shoe (regardless of heel-toe drop) - so maybe you're right and you don't really need to spend loads on fancy shoes

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.