newton trainers

21 to 22 of 22 messages
22/07/2010 at 17:10

When our feet land on the ground, we land along the outer side of the foot. This is a supinated position. The degree of this supination varies according to whether we land on the heel or fore-foot, type of arch, lower limb alignment and also pelvic alignment. From that point we pronate from this position. The degree of pronation is also dependent on many factors. For example, a high rigid arch (or supinated foot) will not pronate much or not at all. A flexible high arch will pronate. A flat arch will pronate or over-pronate.

D2D states that he has "virtually flat feet" and that he supinates. I do not know how he comes to this conclusion, or if somebody told him this. Interestingly in an earlier thread D2D mentioned that he wears neutral running shoes. I therefore suspect that he has a flexible arch. However what is categoric is that apart from the initial phase of supination on heel or foot strike, we cannot supinate from a flat arch position. It would have to lift itself off the ground against gravity and inertia.
23/07/2010 at 11:05
Luke C, I would like to ask a question. If you have flat feet and bow legs, would you not strike your feet on the outside of the shoe?

and in case you wondering.. I don't have bow legs.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 22 of 22 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.