Nike Lunaracer

any good?

1 to 20 of 23 messages
22/08/2008 at 14:48

Hi All,

I wondered whether anyone has brought or tried the Nike Lunaracer yet? I am looking to get a new pair of shoes for road racing - middle to long distance and these seem appealing due to the balance of cushioning and weight (but then maybe I am being a sucker for the marketing).

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Run/8/Nike_Lunaracer/5360037260/

I am an under pronator so my shoe options are a little limited. Currently I use Mizuno Wave Rider 11s, which are fine but just looking for a change. Possible alternatives are Nike Pegasus or Asics Gel Nimbus.

Any experience with the Lunaracer or for that matter the Asics or Pegasus would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

Edited: 22/08/2008 at 15:02
22/08/2008 at 18:18

Have heard that some of the olympics runners used the Lunar racer - not sure it it's true though

Personally the Nike plus socket puts me off buying a pair

22/08/2008 at 22:55

See my post on the Lunar Trainer here.

With regard to the Lunar Racer, is there really a Nike Plus socket in that?! It certainly puts me off buying the trainers. There are many reviews on the Pegasus and Nimbus on this site. I would go for the Nimbus every time. I hoped the new Pegasus 25 would be worth a punt, but reviews from the US where it was released earlier suggest that it may be no better than other recent versions of the shoe.

29/09/2008 at 20:31
I bought some Lunaracer's, they hug your feet at my normal size, they seem fine front to back though. I feel the fore foot area is shallow vs Pegasus & Vomereo. The chooshing is excellent up there with Vomereo, I'd say equal or more in the heal and slightly less in the fore foot. There is no cut out in the heal which some people in the US moaned about for me it was no problem, the front was a little narrow for me and I got blister on the side of my foot after 5km, I hope they'll bed in a little more and be fine.
29/09/2008 at 21:20
moonferret wrote (see)

See my post on the Lunar Trainer here.

With regard to the Lunar Racer, is there really a Nike Plus socket in that?! It certainly puts me off buying the trainers. There are many reviews on the Pegasus and Nimbus on this site. I would go for the Nimbus every time. I hoped the new Pegasus 25 would be worth a punt, but reviews from the US where it was released earlier suggest that it may be no better than other recent versions of the shoe.

Sorry but that`s daft.

It does have the Nike Plus socket but so what ?

If there`s a rational reason to reject a shoe  - fine. But to reject a shoe because it has a Plus socket...

It may or may not be suitable for your foot/running style (would suit a neutral strike or moderate under pronator) but it`s a fantastic shoe.  The presence (or absence ) of a Nike Plus socket is neither here nor there.

Toby - there have been complaints about the lack of heel tab (and rubbing on the Achilles). I had the problem for the first couple of runs but then settled.

One thing that did take a bit of getting used was the fact that there is fair amount of mvt in the fore/midfoot region. Again, after 2-3 runs it felt fine.

I ran a marathon in them yesterday. One blister on one toe but otherwise feet less bashed and bruised than any other shoe I have worn (usually run in performance trainers  - Zoom Elites, but have used Skylons, Air Streaks, Zoom Marathoners).

29/09/2008 at 21:43
Never tried 'em but I know people who have and they love 'em.
05/10/2008 at 22:03
Going back to the comments on the Nike Plus socket... I've read some debate that by having a hole right in the middle of the shoe actually reduces the amount of support, and it the "hole" is in a part of the shoe where you need support the most.  Unfortunately I can't find where I read it.... will keep on searching.
06/10/2008 at 08:24

I've a pair of Lunaracer without anything in the Nike Plus socket and have not noticed any problem with support.

The lunaracer have this wire support system that is supposed to provide all the support necessary so the empty socket shouldn't have any bearing on the support.

BTW, I would heartily recommend them, if you are average to light weight and don't need excessive cushioning, they feel completely weightless and even on roughish ground they are comfortable underfoot.

06/10/2008 at 10:21
Where the Nike plus socket is placed is not where you need the support. The support in a shoe needs to be on the medial side (the instep) to try and control the amount of over-pronation (excessive inwards roll), not in the middle of the shoe
06/10/2008 at 18:25

for me the nike+ socket just seems to be pandering to the wanna be runners.  It gives me the impression that the shoe is a less focused racing shoe.  I'm not bothered about support but don't want unneccessary crap on my racers.

I use Mayfly and Vaporfly at the moment and they have no concessions to such unnecessary luxuries such as iPod use. 

What sort of decent runner would want to race wearing an iPod?  Would Lewis Hamilton fit a hi-fi to his F1 car ? No!! then why does Nike assume I want to race with an iPod?

If it really doesn't make a difference I'll give them a go but it just makes me think that they're moving back towards the fashion market and that puts me off them on principal.  On that subject, are the lunar racers part of the Bowerman range?

07/10/2008 at 21:34
kiwidave wrote (see)
Going back to the comments on the Nike Plus socket... I've read some debate that by having a hole right in the middle of the shoe actually reduces the amount of support, and it the "hole" is in a part of the shoe where you need support the most.  Unfortunately I can't find where I read it.... will keep on searching.
B*ll*cks
07/10/2008 at 21:38
Captain Hook wrote (see)

for me the nike+ socket just seems to be pandering to the wanna be runners.  It gives me the impression that the shoe is a less focused racing shoe.  I'm not bothered about support but don't want unneccessary crap on my racers.

I use Mayfly and Vaporfly at the moment and they have no concessions to such unnecessary luxuries such as iPod use. 

What sort of decent runner would want to race wearing an iPod?  Would Lewis Hamilton fit a hi-fi to his F1 car ? No!! then why does Nike assume I want to race with an iPod?

If it really doesn't make a difference I'll give them a go but it just makes me think that they're moving back towards the fashion market and that puts me off them on principal.  On that subject, are the lunar racers part of the Bowerman range?

Actually, I know a 2 `29 marathoner who frequently uses an mp3 player (not whilst racing). But I take your point. The bottom line is that they are a good shoe. The `unnecessary crap` is tucked under an insole and you probably wouldn`t notice it was there. Be  a devil - give them a go. You may not like them - but it won`t be because of the presence of nike + socket.
08/10/2008 at 08:53

As I've said, I love the lunaracer, but....

Anyone found anywhere that stock the lunatrainer ? I'd like something a little more hardwearing for my longer off-road runs. Can't seem to find anywhere that has them.

08/10/2008 at 09:33
Re the Luna Trainer - not sure where you are in the country but He Runs She Runs in the Meadowhall centre (near Sheffield) have them in stock, or on display at least. No idea on sizes and they might be a bit more pricey there than an online place, but they definitely had some on display yesterday.
08/10/2008 at 09:41

Thanks LS21 - Meadowhall is not really convenient for me - I'm in France !

I've clicked all the shopping links at the right hand side on this site and found one that has my size in stock but the postage is outrageous (£25 for something that is nearly weightless).

I found my lunracer here SBR- £68 was a bargain, pity they don't stock the lunatrainer.

08/10/2008 at 16:27
MarkF wrote (see)

Thanks LS21 - Meadowhall is not really convenient for me - I'm in France ! 

Ahh I see! Oh well not to worry. As I say, I've no idea re sizes or even cost anyway - I just saw some on the shelf. Good luck finding some online and who'll not charge the earth for postage.
08/10/2008 at 22:03
Well I got mine from dorunning.com pretty good deal at 74 pounds witha free t-shirt. I was dubious, however they have been absolutely fantastic. I heavily supernate and these have help resolve many of the problems I was getting with shoes which were design for underpronators/neutral runners. Cushioning is great but they are so light and they feel 'fast'. Ran the Berlin marathon in them with no pain ir blisters at all. I high recommend if you supernate or are a neutral runner. If you over pronate I am not so sure.
09/10/2008 at 12:41
Some people only use their nike system to record time/milage not to listen to music!
09/10/2008 at 13:07
Tom Craggs 2 wrote (see)
Well I got mine from dorunning.com pretty good deal at 74 pounds witha free t-shirt. I was dubious, however they have been absolutely fantastic. I heavily supernate and these have help resolve many of the problems I was getting with shoes which were design for underpronators/neutral runners. Cushioning is great but they are so light and they feel 'fast'. Ran the Berlin marathon in them with no pain ir blisters at all. I high recommend if you supernate or are a neutral runner. If you over pronate I am not so sure.

I ran Berlin in them too. Notwithstanding their weight I found they afforded more protection than my Zoom Elites (my usual training and marathon shoe).

Picked up one blister but otherwise feet felt fine. Quads recovered more quickly than usual - but that may well be attributable to being fitter than usual.

Agree that probably better suited to neutral runners. Think a mild over-pronator might get away with them ?

13/11/2008 at 08:55
Final comment to add here. I love these shoes....BUT THEY WON'T LAST LONG! I found the upper to be pretty weak and evenually it came away from the sole as well as tearing through the side...about 150 miles, but then they are a racing shoe so I suppose that is to be expected, just not a lot of life for the money.
1 to 20 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.