Nike Plus

Distance errors....

12 messages
12/02/2013 at 13:00

I am using my Nike + sensor in a pair of Nike Pegasus+ trainers that I have just bought with a nano 7th Gen.

I tried to calculate the distance of my daily run using a few map sites and they all say 4.41 to 4.47 miles. The first run with nike plus said 3.84 the second said 4.04 (I had not calibrated it).

Anyway, I looked at a 1/2 mile route using map my run and then tried to calibrate the sensor. I ran the route until the voiceover told me that calibration was complete and it appeared as if I had run over 50 yards more than suggested by the end point on the map. On a plus, the trainers are very comfy.....

Does anyone have any ideas? What do I believe, the map or the nike+???

cougie    pirate
12/02/2013 at 13:04
I'd go with the map. I didnt find Nike+ to be that reliable. If you have a smart phone - use a GPS app for your runs. Much more accurate.
12/02/2013 at 13:25

Agree with cougie. I found Nike+ very inaccurate and upgraded to garmin as soon as I could. Believe the map!

12/02/2013 at 14:00

The problem with Nike+ is that it relies on the shoepod to be accurately calibrated more or less before each run. This is a major problem especially if you complete different types of workouts at different speeds, so your feet may strike the ground more or less often, affecting the outcome.

I ran a half marathon a few years ago with Nike+ and it thought I'd run an extra mile despite me keeping a very good racing line to avoid increasing the distance.

12/02/2013 at 14:12

Nike+ does not require calibration before each run at all.  It's becomes flaky when pace and gradient vary, though on the whole I find it to be within 2% of GPS, which is itself inaccurate.

13/02/2013 at 12:47

Thanks all!

As I run the same route through the winter (three or four days a week anyway). I will try the calibrate button after my next run and make the thing believe it has run 4.47 miles to see if that improves the readings.

I shall post back the results.

20/02/2013 at 12:39

Well...  I ran my usual route, 4.47 miles in 37. something mins and then 'Calibrated' the iPOD Nike+ thingy (as it suggested I had only run 3.3 miles).

I have had another run on the same course and... the thing told me I had run 4.49 miles.  I'll try again tomorrow to confirm it wasn't a fluke.

Edited: 20/02/2013 at 12:40
25/02/2013 at 12:33

Sunday - 5.46 miles.  Nike+ mileage = 5.33

Monday - 4.47.  Nike + mileage = 4.56

It seems reasonably close now....

03/03/2013 at 21:27

Mine seems to be off on longer runs these days.  The last 2 long runs I've done have been 3k and 2.5k out according to the map (nike+ being more generous) although it seems to be ok when I do 10k on known routes  I'm wondering if my stride length is the problem when I get tired, or if it's just gubbed after a year of use and I should shell out for a gps device since I don't own a smartphone 

14/03/2013 at 13:11
Well I've had the nike+ GPS tomtom watch and i absolutely love it. I agree that using only the footpod it isn't that accurate but with the GPS as well it's brill and you can connect a polar heart monitor as well! It has really improved my motivation and ability to stay on top of what I'm doing
14/03/2013 at 16:38

I've been very happy with my Nike+ watch and footpod.  It's to within a couple of metres of the My.Asics GPS app.  Only issue I have is with using the footpod on its own.  Tried it on a treadmill a couple of weeks back.  Nike said I had run 5 miles, when I only did 3 and as a result completely smashed my PB for 1k, 1 mile and 5k.

Had to delete the run, although I did quite enjoy having a 4:31 mile on my watch for a short time

14/03/2013 at 17:08
I was the exact same on a treadmill so i just stick to using it outside

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.