Nike Waffle XC

3 messages
05/09/2012 at 23:31
Hi all, I have been running for a while and have reached the point where I have entered a half marathon in October. I have been ramping up my mileage in preparation, and have pretty much always run, on roads in cross country shoes. I have reached the point where my feet are aching pretty badly towards the end of my long runs. I think this may be due to the lack of cushioning on the shoe. I think it may be time to bite the bullet and buy some 'proper' running shoes, but I really don't like the traditional chunky heeled and soled running shoes. So is anyone able to suggest a lightweight, thin heeled, fairly cushioned running shoe (am I asking the earth) or should I just put up & shut up because I really like the way the XCs fit, so just buy a newer pair of them & hope for some difference?
06/09/2012 at 11:03
I have some Waffle XCs. They fit like a glove, but then they're XC spikes, so that's how they're supposed to fit. They'd cripple you if you tried to run a half marathon in them. When I switched some track spikes into them and ran 1500 m in them, by the end of it my toes were starting to hurt from driving into the front of the shoe.

You sound like you're looking for racing flats. I use the Nike Lunar Spiders, and take exactly the same size as I do in the Waffles. This gives me enough toe room to run a 10k in them comfortably. Heel-toe differential is similar to the Waffles. You're looking at 30 quid more for them, though, and they won't last as long as a trainer that's heavier and designed for longer distances. You might like the Adizero range, but I don't have personal experience with them.
Pethead    pirate
06/09/2012 at 13:40

New Balance do some very "flat" (i.e. thin sole, low heel) racing shoes, I don't know many detaild but their webiste is probably worth a look?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.