off road trainers

10 messages
01/11/2011 at 19:46

Hi there!

I road run in Asics GTs.....i do a mix of gravel paths/grass/uneven ground etc.

Can anyone recommend a lightweight offroader?

Cheers

02/11/2011 at 11:27

I have Adidas Kanadia's for trail running, but from what you mention any lightweight trainer will cope.  If it gets muddy/wet/slippery the trail shoes help, but the grip dies quickly if you use them on the type of surfaces you mention when hard packed.

Kanadias are about £45 in SportsDirect at the moment, but they have cheaper alternatives which may be better suited.

02/11/2011 at 13:44
Mizuno Wave Harrier is a reasonable compromise to begin with.
02/11/2011 at 14:31

Hi Rebecca... have a look at the Roclite 268..  a friend of mine bought some a few weeks ago because she wanted a mixed terrain shoe with a slight bias towards off-road...  She loves them...

03/11/2011 at 11:28
Saucony Peregrine-light and grippy but can handle the road too
02/07/2012 at 18:23

Anyone know how the sizes of Peregrines compare with ASICS GT2160's?  I think I heard they come up different, but can't find where now.

03/07/2012 at 13:46

I love my Brooks Trail Blades, have never (touch wood) tripped or slipped in them, and find them grippy but not clumpy.

03/07/2012 at 14:16

Had been running in a pair of chunky gore lined off-roaders from Adidas, and hating them. Just recently gone for a pair of NB MTE 101's as a contrast. So far they are everything I wanted - very light, low profile (no turned ankles for me! - I hope), easy in, easy out for water, fab grip (I was worried about lug wear as most of my off-road runs include a mile or two on roads, but no sign of wear at all yet), and only £35 from Sportsshoes. 

09/07/2012 at 17:46

I currently have Newton Terra Momentus. These are great for trails and are quite light. For more offroad, I have an old pair of Saucony Grid Offroaders, which are great upto about 10km then really started to hurt my feet, but are also quite light, and a pair of old Walsh PBs which are horrible on trails, but good in mud and snow and are very light.

09/07/2012 at 18:16

anyone know of a pair which come up reasonably wide. also for a runner who needs "light stability". in road shoes, I wear ASIC 1170s...thanks

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.