Offroad shoe recommendation needed

Some cushioning but no support

9 messages
04/03/2010 at 16:09

I'm looking for an offroad shoe, and I could do with some help sifting through all the models on offer.

I wer orthotics, and don't need any extra support as I've been told I tend to supinate. I also have equinus, which is where the forefoot is lower than the heel naturally, so the ball of my foot takes quite bashing when out running. I realise the more cushioned the offroad shoe the less stable you feel, but I can't go completely low profile, especially if I have to run in them on short road sections in races.

I have already tried asics trabuco, which are too supportive, and saucony grizzly, which were great in dry conditions but not so good in the wet stuff, and they don't make them anymore.

Anyone offer any ideas as to what might be a good choice? Oh and I have very narrow female heels!

04/03/2010 at 17:38
They do still make the Saucony Grizzly!! It is being discontinued but will be available for a little while yet
04/03/2010 at 17:43

Saucony Xodus I like as a general all round trail shoe great apart from in thick mud!

I also wear Innov8 mudclaws with my orthotics, they have great grip you probably wouldn't like them on the road though, not much cushioning so a rough ride! Although I am happy to do the odd mile or 2 on the road in them but I am fairly light.

04/03/2010 at 20:45
touie2 wrote (see)

I also wear Innov8 mudclaws with my orthotics, they have great grip you probably wouldn't like them on the road though, not much cushioning so a rough ride! Although I am happy to do the odd mile or 2 on the road in them but I am fairly light.

I have a pair of Mud-Claw330's for XC/fell-running' & agree wholeheartedly!
They're superb in the sticky/gloopy stuff, but not nice on the road.

Downhill on damp tarmac pavements is not nice in them!

They're an acquired taste!

For the record, I'm 5'8" & just under 10 stone

Before buying the M-C 330 (for a snowy recent fell-race on Ilkley Moor), I wore Mizuno 'Wave-Harrier 2', & they were fine on the road & a heck of a lot better than the very sparse tread would suggest off-road (they self-clean superbly, as the tread is so widely spaced)

They're also quite light too, & worked well in the recent snows for the (road) run to work, even frozen snow wasn't an issue for them

The only issue some people might have with them, is the bright yellow colouration - which rapidly alters after the first muddy run

05/03/2010 at 13:24

Personally, I'm a bit of an Inov-8 fan.I have mudclwas, terrocs and flyrocs - probably the flyrocs would be most like what you are after. However, roclites may be a good starting point. Inov-8's generally have a very low profile but the roclites are their most cushioned shoes whilst still maintaining a high level of grip.

The inov-8 web site also has a good product selector, so you can select by feature e.g. women's last for a narrow heel. click here

I also have a Mizuno wave harriers -a good compromise but tend to keep these more for dry conditions or where there may be some road involved.

05/03/2010 at 14:10
Pete S wrote (see)

Personally, I'm a bit of  I also have a Mizuno wave harriers -a good compromise but tend to keep these more for dry conditions or where there may be some road involved.

Yes, they're good for that, but still work quite well in fairly muddy stuff.

I wore mine for the 'Stanbury Splash' Fell-Race, & bar the steepest downhill, I was happy with them for all of the varying terrains covered

05/03/2010 at 14:43
Thanks guys that was exactly the kind of info I was after, I will go have a look at that website Pete, cheers!
06/03/2010 at 10:21
Richard Thackeray 2 wrote (see)

I wore mine for the 'Stanbury Splash' Fell-Race, & bar the steepest downhill, I was happy with them for all of the varying terrains covered

Agreed - the're a good shoe but I do a lot of steep/wet/muddy hills and also some fell running and I find the grip better in the inov-8s. They also don't clear mud as well when its wet. However, the mizunos do have more cushioning and so prefer them for harder surfaces (compact trails/dry mud/some road etc.)
06/03/2010 at 10:58
Pete S wrote (see)
Richard Thackeray 2 wrote (see)

Agreed - the're a good shoe but I do a lot of steep/wet/muddy hills and also some fell running and I find the grip better in the inov-8s. They also don't clear mud as well when its wet. However, the mizunos do have more cushioning and so prefer them for harder surfaces (compact trails/dry mud/some road etc.)

That's why I bought the 'Mud-Claw 330' as I wasn't entirely happy with the 'W-H' on the slippiest downhills

That said, I wll be wearing them for the 'Trunce' series, as the road-section will not be much fun in the 'M-Cs'

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.