Olympics 2012 runners vest

14 messages
10/01/2012 at 09:14
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get a 2012 Olympics running vest?

I would love to wear a vest that celebrates this years Olympic games, any that I find are women's or, well, not quite what I want for my next half marathon run.

The _one_ that I have found is from JJB and not really the sort of thing I am after.

I'd like something closer to this but unfortunately this is a women's ... unless someone can tell me this will fit a male

Edited: 10/01/2012 at 09:15
10/01/2012 at 09:29

Why not try one on and see?

It doesn't look like a 'real' running vest, though, if you know what I mean.  More like a 'fashion' running vest.

But we are talking about JD Sports.

10/01/2012 at 09:36
Yeah I was really wanting a proper running vest

I was really surprised the official site had nothing.
10/01/2012 at 09:40
Given that you can buy Olympic-branded umbrellas (yes, really), you WOULD think they'd do sportswear!
10/01/2012 at 10:11
Weird isn't it -- there's plenty of 'fashion' type stuff just nothing 'useful' ...that's a little unfair, but you know what I mean!
cougie    pirate
10/01/2012 at 10:51
I've seen a few Olympic shops - There's one at St Pancras selling the Adidas kit.

Design looks bloody awful though, it reminds me of 80s fashion and its not cheap.
10/01/2012 at 11:01
Thanks, don't suppose they had vests in stock did they? Is it a store I can find online or is it just affiliated to the official website?

--I am in London tomorrow, might pop in, is it easily findable??

Yeah must admit I'm not a complete lover of the designs but a simple vest with the lion's head on would be nice.
cougie    pirate
10/01/2012 at 11:20
At St Pancras its where all the shops are in the main station area - over to the left as you come in the front. When I was last there they had lots of tecchy kit, but nothing I wanted to buy.

The Lions head Team GB stuff seemed much nicer ?
10/01/2012 at 11:32

All the stuff I've seen has been really naff.

I hate that logo

10/01/2012 at 11:36
I'll check it out thanks (here's some info on it if anyone else is interested).

Agreed, the broken-biscuit logo is terrible, the lion's head isn't so bad. It's such a shame they let designers attempt to be too different - you look back at the old logos of Soel, Canadian Winter Olympics and they're really cool. Perhaps the lion's head will get cooler with age - it will certainly mean something so that's the basis of cool I suppose

Must admit I am buying stuff so that in 10 years time I can wear it and think to myself "this will look as though it was a cool thing to have in this country when in actual fact it was too difficult and too expensive to go and watch"

...thinking of taking my 3 year old with me to the Marathon but even that will cost be ~£300 in travel

...am I being wise taking a 3 year old

...kinda feel I owe him.

10/01/2012 at 11:38
cougie wrote (see)
I've seen a few Olympic shops - There's one at St Pancras selling the Adidas kit. Design looks bloody awful though, it reminds me of 80s fashion and its not cheap.

Agree. Especially the my2012 Adidas range designed by Stella McCartney - its awful! You'd think they would put out a range similar to the official athletes kit for the general public, not a load of trash covered in gold foil or adorned with a ridiculous number of zips.
10/01/2012 at 12:02
rodgerredhat wrote (see)
...thinking of taking my 3 year old with me to the Marathon but even that will cost be ~£300 in travel ...am I being wise taking a 3 year old ...kinda feel I owe him.

It's difficult to say - but it's likely to be very crowded. 

It gets incredibly crowded for the London Mara, and that's spread out over a much longer route.  I don't enjoy going up for that, and I wouldn't want to take a small child to it.

He's not likely to remember much of it for long, and he's not likely to SEE much of it, being very small!

You'll get a much better view of the race on the TV - that's were I'll be watching from

cougie    pirate
10/01/2012 at 12:08
I'm mulling over nipping down to see the Olympics too. No tickets so its free stuff for me. Its expensive to not see much action at all.

If I had a 3 year old - I think I'd not attempt it. Maybe take her to see the Olympic sites - but watching it will be tricky and boring.

I saw the CW games MTB race up in Bolton a few years back. Smallish loops, but the field was tiny compared to the amateur races - so very dull to watch. Any normal race is far better entertainment. Watching a pack of 20 pop round every 20 mins isn't really great fun. I expect the marathon will be worse.
10/01/2012 at 12:08
Good point.

Seems such a shame not to go and experience any of it.

As is often the case with these things, the TV and hype record the memory for you even though the vast majority won't experience it anything like what will be shown.

Pah, we'll still have a get together at our house for the opening ceremony.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.