Paramo Velez Smock

8 messages
22/01/2013 at 10:42

looked at one of these yesterday and noticed its branded as an adventure racing smock including for running. I like the fit and feel but think i may get a little hot running in one unless its totally baltic - does anyone use these - thoughts?

Cheers in advance.

22/01/2013 at 13:36

It's great piece of kit though for walking and running when its cold, but yes it will be warm for running in "normal" temperatures. I reckon it adds up to be about the same as a thin fleece under a waterproof (though much more breathable than any normal waterproof). It does have full length vents up the side though, so you can get good airflow.

22/01/2013 at 14:09

cheers mr bus - i'm thinking of giving it a try as i do a bit of fell walking also, not the cheapest like but theres a few bargains to be had here and there.

22/01/2013 at 18:08

Worth the money - Paramo kit lasts for ever, and is infinitely re-proofable. I want to replace my Alta jacket as I bought it 16 years ago when I was two stone heavier so it's a bit big! Trouble is, it works as well as it ever did, so I can't bring myself to spend all that money on a new one!

22/01/2013 at 20:13

I love paramo kit. mainly use  trekking, but I have run in the smock, its v good at regulating temp. I just wear a thin icebreaker vest under it, I find it much more comfortable than a fleece and waterproof.

23/01/2013 at 16:22

oh, by the way, I have the light velez smock, there is a heavier one. It was perfect for running in the snow this afternoon.

23/01/2013 at 19:35

I've got the heavier (standard?) version, and it's great in really cold weather, or ridiculous gales. Can get a little warm if you run hard, or if the temperature is much warmer, but it's been a blessing the last week. Would imagine the light version might be better for more regular use?

The heavier version came up trumps in the gale on Sunday night - barely felt a thing, had the hood all done up with a cap underneath (wear specs, so need to keep water out my eyes). Front pocket comes in handy, too. Would deffo use it up on the hills too.

The Bus - same problem for me, I was 3st heavier when I got my smock, and was worried it might flap about a bit - turns out to be fine, no bother, just cinch up the waist.

Edited: 23/01/2013 at 19:36
15/10/2014 at 18:32

Old thread I know, but just treated myself to the light velez adventure smock  

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.