Pedometers

are they any good?

21 to 37 of 37 messages
11/09/2004 at 12:29
Like Andrew Whaley have put mine in the bin, it recorded 0.6 miles and 15 minutes for a 3 mile run in 31 minutes - the day before on the same run completely different reading. Now use car and watch. Mind you was a cheapie for Giles Sports.
26/09/2004 at 17:41
Have dead cheap one from Decathlon - 12.99 euro. Measure time on seperate stopwatch. Play around with the calibration depending on route and as others pass time on long runs trying to work out the maths.....
29/09/2004 at 13:34
I bought my sister a pedometer that is based on accelaromator technology so its the most accurate available and its about £35 but well worth it, she uses it in aerobics class aswell as running...its an Omron HJ112 and I got it from London Marathon Store also found info at www.findastockist.com
01/10/2004 at 23:45
I had a cheapie one and it was rubbish.For ages I really underestimated my running speed because the pedometer read 7.6kph which is only slightly faster than walking.Gave up and used the thread + A-z method which is more accurate.Got a new pedometer for last christmas but haven't got round to setting it up...seems a bit complex.
LOK
07/11/2004 at 19:45
just flagging this thread up again in light of recent pedometer revival due to walkers crisps, itv and now bbc fat nation giveaway

interesting review of pedometer accuracy here

http://walking.about.com/cs/measure/a/pedaccuracy04.htm

and confirms what the UK govt researchers found when they first thought of the 10 000 steps a day program
ie that the Yamax Digi-Walker is one of the most accurate ones
and that alot of them are a a long way out
LOK
07/11/2004 at 20:59
normal pedos can be more than inaccurate...but the HJ112/3 from Omron are useing accelaromator technology
15/10/2008 at 21:24

The pedometer I had was no good to me because even though it was quite a pricey one, I wanted to wear it all day to do the 10,000 steps thing. But if you got in a car on on bus or whatever, it counted every tiny bump in the road as a step. There seemed to be no way of temporarily "pausing" it either.

Do the Omron ones with the new technology overcome this, or are there at least ones I can temporarily disable when I know I'm not walking but might register "false" steps?

07/09/2009 at 16:53

There are a couple of ways that pedometers filter out 'false' steps. 

One is time related, so that after say 4 or 6 seconds of movement the pedometer starts to count.  Therefore if going over a long stretch bumpy road (for example) it could lead to accumulating a lot of false steps.

Other pedometers however use a different filter technology that requires you to do a certain number of steps in a row before it starts to record your step count.  This would get over your car/bus journey problem.   The other good news is that it can be lower cost pedometers that have this type of filter.

advice with pedometers and step counters

Edited: 07/09/2009 at 16:57
31/05/2010 at 09:16
I used a Omron pedometer, it's good for my walking everyday, pity it's broken. i seach google would like to get a free one, and find pedometerhk.com can supply a gps pedomter, hope i can get one...everyone who know this website or ever got one?
31/05/2010 at 09:17
31/05/2010 at 20:55
I tried a pedometer years ago. Went for a walk, counting steps. Compared with the pedometer and founf that the pedometer was counting maybe 60% of my steps, making it useless - obviously I walk too smoothly. Whether it would work better with running, I'm not sure.
31/05/2010 at 23:24
a GPS pedometer can solve this problem, because it use the GPS techlology, just like the navigator...besides, you can adjust the stride range to make your pedometer more accurancy, I know it can go to 95%, but 60% is so bad!
Nam
31/05/2010 at 23:31

Ken, even when it's "on topic" it's still SPAM!

Read the T&Cs http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/termsandcond.asp?sp=&v=6

01/06/2010 at 14:14
I bought a silva pedometer from Blacks,it cost about £20 quid & I have checked it against map my run thingy & it is very accurate & so is the time as have checked that too,I have had it for 18 months so far & still works perfectly on same batteries.......I use it when I go on long walks & it has been fab
02/06/2010 at 01:12
Pedometers are fine. But you will get to a stage if your running progresses where it becomes not good enough. I wore a Nike+ for a Marathon the other week and at the end it told my i'd ran 27.6 miles which obviouly is not true. I'm now looking to buy a Garmin GPS watch.  I think pedometers are fine though if your only running shorter distances.
02/06/2010 at 10:10
The Nike+ isn't a pedometer.  It's a footpod.
30/06/2012 at 07:53

Pedometers are really helping us to maintain our fitness; with that we can count our daily steps, heart beat rate, running speed etc. here it is one company which provides MOVBands, it is a wrist watch pedometer, you can use it like watch as well as a pedometer.

Edited: 02/07/2012 at 07:32

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 37 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.