Polar s625x Review

Is the Polar s625x accurate and useful?

5 messages
23/10/2004 at 20:40
Has anyone had a chance to review the Polar s625x and is it accurate and useful. Does the distance measuring device measure accurately, on the flat, uphill, descending (Fell Races). Does it need recalibration as you get fitter? Is it useful?
23/10/2004 at 21:40
Got one two about a month ago and found that it's very CONSISTENT when running on the same course, for both S+D and altitude.

I took it the gym (just today in fact) with the aim of calibrating it. I did 10k and started the exercise on the watch when I hit 1k to ensure I was in my stride. So i was looking for a figure of around 9k. In the end it gave 11.4k, which was further out than i thought it would be. So if the factory calibration setting is 1000, i need to set this to 790 to accuratley record the distance.

But now it's set there no reason why it wont accurately record the distance consistently.

The treadmill was at 0% incline. What i'll do the next time i go to the gym is put the treadmill on an incline that effect cadence and see what figure it comes out with. I'll keep you posted.

29/10/2004 at 20:55
In the discussion group http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/S625x/ I posted two discussion texts about these things and much more concerning accurate calibration and distance measurement. If you are member you can pick the pictures also. See message 47 and 51.
Have a nice reading.
Willem
29/10/2004 at 21:48
Excellent articles Willem.

Pezza, I'm not sure that calibrating the polar is a good idea on a treadmill. A treadmill needs to be calibrated itself.
29/10/2004 at 22:49
I found out what fluffed the above reading, i had the watch set on 'bike 2', which i assume takes it's inputs from the bike sensors (which i dont have). The result of not having them is that the speed graph was all over the place!

The distance given by the uncalibrated polar is not that far out from the Timex. My morning run is 2.4 miles according to the Timex, and 2.3 according to the polar. That's an acceptable error margin for me, for now.

I'm doing a half in 3 weeks so i'll see how far off 13.1 miles it is.

The point about consistency is still valid through.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.