Race Shoes & Training Shoes

4 messages
13/04/2011 at 09:27

Hiya people,

I just wanted to know If people have 2 pairs of shoes...

1 for training and 1 for racing?

Alot of the people I train with have 2 pairs of shoes, one pair to do all there training in, something like a Brooks pair to look after there feet and joints etc during the training.

And then they race in a completely different pair of shoes, the most popular are those light coloured (bright Green or Yellow) and light weighted Saucony Grids..

I just wanted to gage how many people recommend 2 pairs or think just using the 1 pair is enought..?

13/04/2011 at 10:10
personal choice really - some do, some don't

I wear the same shoes for long distance racing and training; different shoes for short distance racing - the difference is the cushioning. I replace when they start to feel knackered.

go with what you feel and what experience tells you works best
13/04/2011 at 10:30

I like to train and race in the same shoes - the only time I change shoes is if it snows and I have to put my spikes on.

I don't think switching between different shoes can be good for you. For example, if you train hard in a cushioned shoe and then switch to a stripped back racer, you could well wind up with an injury since you're not used to the minimalism.

Each to their own though - what works for one won't necessarily work for another.

13/04/2011 at 10:37

I've got a pair of shoes for training and a pair of trail shoes, which got about half as much use as my main shoes. Then a racing pair, which I've only done about 30 miles in yet, I don't imagine they'll need to be replaced for a while. My racing shoes, like my everyday shoes, are Mizuno. Trail shoes are Addidas.

I have to confess I got my racing shoes because I liked the idea of special kit for race days, nothing else.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.