Reflective Gear

suitable for children

17 messages
16/10/2006 at 13:48
Has anybody come across refective bands ,or anything else, that might fit children. My children have to walk to and from their morning/afterschool club. They have to walk along, and then cross, a busy road.

The lovely ladies who walk with them are searching for some reflective gear, but are struggling to find suitable sizes for 5 to 11 year olds.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Price will be an issue too, they are investigating if the County Council have any thing to offer, but are finding it hard to get a reply.

I know this is not running related , but I thought somebody might have come across something.

Thanks
16/10/2006 at 14:15
I've got some Ron Hill snapbands from Wiggle that might fit the bill - they're fun to put on too.

They're reflective straps that straighten out but bend when you 'hit' them against your arm.

Can't do links to specific pages on Wiggle but look under reflectives on the 'run' tab.

I had these when I was a kid and I'm sure they came from RoSPA or something.
16/10/2006 at 14:17
My memories of my parents trying to get me to wear reflective stuff are that I wouldn't wear it if it made me look like a geek. I assume that holds true today so you need something that they'll wear.

Cycle express have reflective stickers that could be stuck to clothing and/or bags. They aren't bright yellow so are less geeky. They also have some small red lights that can be clipped to clothing or a hi-vis/reflective rucksack cover that can be stuffed into the bag in daylight hours and put over their rucksack for the walk home.
cougie    pirate
16/10/2006 at 14:23
I've actually got a hi viz reflective tabard thats meant to be for kids.

Its a bit like this - but goes over the head with poppers at the side. Its got lots more reflective stuff on than the normal running kit has.

http://www.bis-supply.co.uk/products/index.cfm?s=113&g=112&c=21
16/10/2006 at 14:31
Oh Brilliant!!!

thanks

(and I think you've sorted my Christmas shopping as well with that Cycle Express website!)

BTW what is the latest about Wiggle, and the credit card fraud allegations?
cougie    pirate
16/10/2006 at 14:39
Just allegations as far as I know Jars. It could all be a coincidence.

But if you're going to use them - use a credit card and keep an eye on your statement.

Oh actually Aldi are doing some reflective bands with LEDs on this Thursday.
16/10/2006 at 14:42
I just got some stuff from bourne sports. I am quite small but their tabard thingy fits me and I think it'd be good for children (around a fiver). Also got an illuminated/fluorescent arm band which is really cool, about 12 quid. The fluoro velcro bands are cheap also.

Slow-ish delivery but am happy with the quality.
cougie    pirate
16/10/2006 at 14:42
http://www.totalpromotionsltd.co.uk/hi-viz-safety-tabard.htm

This is a bit more like mine. Fits me snugly.
16/10/2006 at 14:51
You can get strips of reflective/dayglo , (comes in a variety of widths/colours too) that you can stick or sew to fit as necessary- You buy by the metre.
Absolutely heaps of places sell it, both online as well as many good haberdashery shops stock it- particularly as nights are getting darker I've seen a lot of it about in shops.

These days more and more kids/ adults are wearing it, so doesnt rate so highly on the geek/nerd-ometer
16/10/2006 at 22:49
I'm sure I've seen reflective cycling bibs for kids in Tesco.
17/10/2006 at 08:54
I found some hi-viz waistcoats in a market when I went to Shrewsbury this last weekend for my nephews. They're 3 and 4 years old, into Bob the Builder, and I spent £8 on one each for them. They were for ages 4-6.

Saying that, a lot of kids might not want to walk to school looking like a mini-concil-worker. In which case, I think more and more jackets have some retroreflective piping and detail these days, or you can get various size and shape stick-on bits to decorate a school bag perhaps.
18/10/2006 at 16:43
I think we are going to go with refective armbands a la wiggle

and then some stick on shapes that they can customise themselves and put on their bags!

Thanks for all the responses!

:0)
18/10/2006 at 16:50
LMAO @ Jars expecting something from the County Council.

I've only been waiting 3 years for a pair of work trousers so you have no chance this decade.
19/10/2006 at 17:38
I know, I know Muzzy

But you have to try!

:0)

I can lend you some trousers if you like , I have some nice pink ones !

btw I'm getting sponsorship for running Worksop to try and get some money for our gear! ..so I'm doing my best!

I don't want my lovely boys squished by some maniac ambulance driver!
iron fraggle    pirate
19/10/2006 at 17:59
try this lot

http://www.brightkidznew.safekidswalking.org.uk/

even do girly pink stuff too :o)
19/10/2006 at 20:03
I wouldn't squish your two........

...it takes too long to wash the blood off the ambulance.
;o)
19/10/2006 at 20:05
Ooohh!

Girly pink stuff should suit Jars' two boys.
LMHO.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
17 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.