Right shoes for a marathon

Should i switch to something fluffier?

21 to 25 of 25 messages
08/01/2013 at 22:25

Go for some full-on barefoot shoes, build up your distance slowly and you'll find your running form improves - you just can't heel-strike in them. Can even mix it up with cushioned shoes and phase one out and the other in so your overall mileage doesn't need to reduce.

Worked for me. I run in Vivobarefoot Neos - 5mm of rubber between you and the ground. Couldn't go back to cushioned shoes if I tried.

09/01/2013 at 07:57
OP, concerning the title; I think it's quite important that your right shoe matches your left. Sorry I can't be any more helpful
09/01/2013 at 10:29

sean OC - 

Big_G - That sounds perfectly normal, most people's gait etc will change over time due to training changes.  Also, The smaller stride & quicker cadence approach is something I picked up from the Chi running book, and it looks liked you've learned this naturally. 

09/01/2013 at 10:58

Big_G - The same has happened to me over a period of time.  In a not-very-scientific experiment, I've observed my cadence increase from about mid 160s to high 170s and my gait has changed from a fairly pronounced heel strike to heel/midfoot.  I'm now a little wary of the term "overpronation"; I certainly pronate, but then pronation is a natural part of the gait cycle, so I'm much happier using shoes which are designed for neutral/mild pronation rather than the stability type shoes which I thought (was told) I needed.

10/01/2013 at 22:44

Too much emphasis on 'foot strike'. It's where the foot lands that's important - you can land in front of your body on the forefoot simply by plantar flexing...and it's not a good idea. If you drop your foot down near to under your hips you will automatically land forefoot. that's a consequence of correct form.

Heel strike=slow cadence because usually heel strike means landing in front of the body, so you have to wait for your body to catch up before you can change support.

A shorter stride with quicker cadence is more efficient.

We ALL develop worse form in the latter stages of a marathon and for me with 2 miles to go and care if I crawl as long as I cross the line!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.