Running sandals/huaraches

21 to 33 of 33 messages
02/03/2012 at 14:54
Converting those prices gives between £37 and £75 pounds.  Not too bad for things to run in IMHO
02/03/2012 at 15:46
Ultra Sparkly Bridget wrote (see
)
Converting those prices gives between £37 and £75 pounds.  Not too bad for things to run in IMHO

You're right, I guess - I'm just being cheap! For a barefoot runner, it's amazing how much I spend on footwear!
02/03/2012 at 16:18
For a barefoot runner, it's amazing how much I spend on footwear!

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean

Just in case you haven't seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPdb7ZDJKS4
02/03/2012 at 16:59
Classic!
05/03/2012 at 23:00
Surely if you wear sandals or shoes you're not a barefoot runner?  I'm wearing minimal shoes at the moment while it's still fairly cold but when I run barefoot, that's it - my feet are bare.
06/03/2012 at 09:06
Good for you.
06/03/2012 at 09:24

Well yes it is when I get the chance to do it, but it's not the point I was making. 

Wearing minimalist shoes is not barefoot running.

06/03/2012 at 12:43
If I ride a mountain bike, but not up a mountain, am I still mountain-biking?
Edited: 06/03/2012 at 12:44
06/03/2012 at 12:56
Red Squirrel. wrote (see
)

Wearing minimalist shoes is not barefoot running.

True, but wearing shoes at times doesn't mean you're not a barefoot runner. In the words of Jason Robillard (one of my barefoot running heroes): 'shoes are tools that allow us to go and do things we can’t do barefoot.'

http://barefootrunninguniversity.com/2012/01/10/15-myths-about-barefoot-running-what-my-experiences-have-taught-me/

06/03/2012 at 13:07
Thanks for the link, that's a great article!
So good to see something that highlights things are rarely black and white, and one should always be slightly sceptical of received wisdom whatever the source.
06/03/2012 at 14:46

Agreed! The thing with barefoot running is that it's a new (although also very old!) discipline.

We know people have run barefoot for thousands of years, so we can infer it's how we were originally designed to run. But modern people and the modern environment are different to our ancestors, so we need to re-learn the ancient technique and see how it fits with 21st century life.

A lot of people are making bold statements about barefoot running (some of them conflicting!), but until we learn more about it and get more research we should probably stay a little bit sceptical.

Jason Robillard's site is very good for that. He seems to have a balanced approach, unlike some other barefoot gurus who seem to treat barefoot running like a new religion and the panacea for all ills!

02/05/2012 at 19:06
I know you said that you don't want to have to lace the yourself but this will help...
http://www.instructables.com/id/Minimalist-Running-Sandals-Huaraches/
Fairly easy to follow and the results are good. I have a pair made from an old bike tyre, which is just wide enough, and have a pair I made last night from a broken pair of wellies, haven't tried them yet though. Used shoelaces for the straps on the first lot, so they were free.
Definitely worth a go rather than an expensive pair shipped in from the US.
04/05/2012 at 21:40

Last month I saw a guy run a 56 mile ultra wearing what looked like old flip flop soles tied on to his feet with rubber bands. On describing them elsewhere on this forum, I was told they were probably a pair of (which specific brand I can't remember now) expensive minimalist specially designed running footwear.

If I ever feel like trying it for myself, I think I'll save money and just get an old pair of flip flop soles and tie them to my feet with rubber bands....

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.