Running shoe life span

21 to 36 of 36 messages
07/02/2013 at 13:46

my feet tell me when mine are on the way out, its usually at 6mnths (doing 20-25 miles a week ).........The ball of my foot and my foot starts to roll out.....and aches.Gone off asics for this reason and trialling a nike shoe and saucony trail shoe at the moment, hoping one might suit me better.

08/02/2013 at 22:59

I wear mine until they don't feel right any more.  If I avoid bumpy pavements because I can feel the bumps through my trainers, I know it's time for a new pair!
Suzanne, what Asics did you have that problem with?  I just had the same thing with Nimbus 12s and have replaced them with Nike Pegasus (I loved those Nimbuses, I really did.  I just didn't love the new model).

09/02/2013 at 08:19

The best thing I find is buy another pair, and try them out (I use the same type so it's not as daft as it sounds) when the new feel significantly better then the old, I'll swap, it's difficult to tell when the old have worn out to the point it will cause you harm

15/09/2013 at 08:29

I tend to buy a second pair when I like a shoe so when I think it is nearing time to change, I wear one of each and feel the difference and decide if the old ones can last a bit longer. As already suggested the old ones become a muddy run or off road shoe.

17/09/2013 at 13:19

I suffered a very long spell of recurring shin splints (on and off for a couple of years) every time I got up to half marathon distances, and was replacing my shoes at the suggested mileage. I finally figured out shortening my stride has cured me of my pains, though I try to run on paths/trails more often now as well. As a bit of an experiment, now that I've sorted out the shin splint problems I've gone back to running in those old shoes that I had previously retired.

I've now run over 1000 miles on my Nimbus 12's and I've no plans to stop running in them anytime soon.  

I also just ran 16miles at the weekend, mostly on roads, in a pair of old Brooks Glycerin 8's that have 750 miles on them. Truthfully they don't feel quite as cushioned as the Nimbus 12's and I suppose I prefer keeping them for trails, but on this occasion I've happily managed that distance, on roads, without issue. 

19/09/2013 at 08:01

My view is - running put a lot of strain on the lower limbs that is not something you can always feel or detect

Running is a cheap sport unless your one of these that has to pay £50 for the latest shorts or the latest "technical" vest etc

Shoes are the only real big investment. I want to protect my legs and joints and change my shoes every 500 -600 miles whether the look like they need it or not. You cannot tell just by looking at the soles whether the medial support has worn or the cushioning crumbling inside.

No, I change regular - a precaution if you like and an investment in protecting my joints. No way on gods earth would I be running in shoes with over 1000 miles on them !!

19/09/2013 at 10:48

330 or bust has put it perfectly. It might be a little bit of a waste, but it's better then coming down with an injury

23/09/2013 at 13:16

Yes......but.

I am getting far fewer niggles now I am running in 2 pairs which both have 800 miles on them. They definitely don't have the cushioning they used to have, but as Glenn has described, this has encouraged me to change my running gait (which was beginning to happen anway), and I've gone from banging down on my heels to be much more of a forefoot lander and clip along far more effieciently. Think the feedback from diminishing cushioning has gradually encouraged my body to protect itself.

If this stops working and I start to get more niggles then I'll replace.

23/09/2013 at 14:04

So buy a different style instead of going through 700 miles of pain before you get then where you want them

23/09/2013 at 15:19

No pain - that's the point, just a gradual change.

If they are causing problems then yes - change them. If not, why pander to the whims, propaganda and profits of big shoe companies?

14/10/2013 at 22:50

Around 600 miles or so I reckon, that's about 3 months or so for me. I always start to get shin splints and/or more aches and pains. Its a bit costly but frankly, it's not worth skimping on.

15/10/2013 at 10:02

Ran the Wirral Half last Sunday and it's now time to retire my trusty Nike Triax - you can hear the air pocket in them hissing when you walk.

I broke them in for the GNR in 2010, so a quick look at Garmin Connect reckons ~2500km of running since then.  Even allowing for a few KM in my trail shoes, they must have done 2000km which isn't bad.

15/10/2013 at 14:31

I have a pair I still run in regularly with over 2000 miles, but another pair I'm on the verge of chucking after only about 300. That's based entirely on comfort.

XX1
15/10/2013 at 14:46

Wow!  2,000 miles from a single pair of trainers!!  What make and model are they?

XX1
16/10/2013 at 13:46

Mizuno Wave Inspire 6. I also have a pair of 4 with 2000 miles, but I hardly wear those any more.

16/10/2013 at 13:54

Great having old threads resurrected.  I just read the OP, and then found myself identifying with the first reply... before noticing it was me who wrote it!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 36 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.