Running socks

21 to 29 of 29 messages
22/08/2012 at 12:46

Hilly Twin Skins have worked for me as well, most recently on a 50-mile trail race, but also on a very wet marathon (Manchester). I do vaseline my feet as well before runs like those. I've got other double-skinned socks as well - More Mile, Karrimor etc., which are also fine.

22/08/2012 at 12:47
Merk wrote (see)

I've had umpteen packs of Karrimor socks from Sports Direct, 2 pairs for £3.99.  In between I've tried More Mile and New Balance ones and had blisters and sore toes so strictly Karrimor for me now.

I second the Karrimor socks. I tried some dual layered socks (sorry don't know brand) and they were awful. They were too thick and I too got the biggest blisters ever on my heels.

23/08/2012 at 11:57

I couldn't get on with the hilly twin skin ones - I just couldn't get a smooth fit, OCD bunching alert! I use the 1000 mile light ones, they're thin merino wool outside with a coolmax inner. About £11 a pair though.

23/08/2012 at 14:15

Im with you Feral It just doesnt seem right to have two slidey layers so twinskins are not for me. For cheapies I use nike dryfits from a shop in baker street £4 each i think they were

23/08/2012 at 23:38

got 1 pair of Hilly twin skins and like them but when hot they get too hot. got a bargain at Sports Direct with 2 pairs of New balance socks for 7 quid and they are very good but I have to say the kalenji padded socks from Decathlon I think at 6 quid a pair are the most robust in terms of washing. they last for ages and are very comfortable.

25/08/2012 at 12:09

I have tried twinskin and didnt get on with them, hilly no great improvement, more mile appear to have extra in right places and seem ok, however i always fall back on cheap umbro trainer liners, never had a problem since.

I think sometimes people up their mileage or change shoes and dont give their feet time to adapt. If in doubt vaseline hotspots.

25/08/2012 at 12:46
Scott Aranyi wrote (see)

Do they actually help reduce blisters etc?

I thought for £10 - £15 i'd give them a miss however if they really do help when running I might go and buy some.

I never get blister's, I just wear whatever socks I had on the day before. Running socks are just another con to extract money from mugs

Edited: 25/08/2012 at 12:47
25/08/2012 at 22:24
The light injinji socks are great if you are prone to blisters on the toes, I've also been trying x-socks this week which so far I am really liking! I do like hilly twin skins too but they can get a bit hot in the summer and I kept getting blisters between my toes on longer runs with them!
26/08/2012 at 14:18

Addendum: 1000 mile double-layer socks have now decided to eat holes in my little toes, so no longer recommending those! Hilly twin-skins still fine.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.