Running Sunglasses

With prescription lenses

1 to 20 of 26 messages
01/01/2010 at 16:11

Hi,

I usually run without my glasses, because they're not very sporting frames and I don't like the chances of them staying on my face without bouncing up and down.

I went out today and with the low sun and the trees it was like running with a strobe light in front of my face so I've decided that it's time to get some running sunglasses.

And if I'm going to spend money I might as well get some prescription ones so that I can see where I'm going properley, but I've looked on the main opticians web-sites and they only seem to offer 'fashion' sunglasses.

Does anyone know where I can get a decent pair of prescription sub-glasses to run in (wrap arounds or similar)?  I'm hoping not to have to pay the earth for them, but we'll have to see what the prices look like.

01/01/2010 at 16:21

I believe that some outlets sell prescription Oakleys, if you want to spend the 'appropriate' money?

Bolle also used to be available, but I'm not sure if they're even still in existance?

01/01/2010 at 16:37

I looked at Oakleys but they couldn't do my prescription in a wrap around lens and the ones they could do were £450+...ouch!

I ended up getting some Adidas ones with a prescription insert behind and they have been great. Cost about £150 all in but the benefit is that if your prescription changes, you only need a new insert (£40-50) and you can re-use the rest, plus you can also change the coloured lenses so always have the right ones for the conditions.

I managed to get mine from an optician but there are companies that do them online...try googling adidas prescription sunglasses 

01/01/2010 at 16:52
The Sunwise glasses (available from Metroeyewear ) also have prescription sunglasses. Most are like the Adidas with the insert, but the Silverstone/Monza glasses that I bought from them have interchangeable prescription lenses These are less likely to steam up I suspect, but they're not wrap-around types.
01/01/2010 at 17:06
Never had any problem with mine steaming in hot weather or cold.....just the usual issues of glasses in heavy rain but I think you'd get that with glazed lenses or inserts
01/01/2010 at 17:10

my optician reccomended adidas sun glasses to me. They are made under licence by a manufacturer who knows what they are doing and sold under the Adidas label.

The lenses stay in place (the prescription part), I mean don't wobble.

Also like BBB sunglasses though hard to get in UK. Found mine in Belguim.

Oh - the Adidas are vented over the eyes so they don't steam up. If you are having a problem then there are plenty of anti mist sprays that you can use.

Edited: 01/01/2010 at 17:12
01/01/2010 at 17:12

ADIDAS, great glasses with a clip in option (which I don't use yet!) but had Adidas glasses 8 years, excellent.

Try http://www.vision3k.com/running-sunglasses.asp?mscssid=ME7CU3JVB2WG9HDVD

01/01/2010 at 19:13
UltraCas wrote (see)

I looked at Oakleys but they couldn't do my prescription in a wrap around lens and the ones they could do were £450+...ouch!

Blimey!!

I didn't realise they were that much

Having said that, my 3 pairs of Mumbos are probably over 15 years old now, & the frames are still as good as new (the nose-pad, & ear-grips have been replaced a couple of times)

I've got to wear something whenever I'm on the bike, as I wear Contact Lenses, & grit under them isn't good at anytime (let alone in traffic, or when descending somewhere like A628 - HolmeMoss!!!)

One pair saved my sight once, as I 'rear-ended' a broken-down car back in 1997

It was unlit on a 60MPH road, in a dip, & I was dazzled by oncoming traffic, & saw it too late (A61, between Leeds & Wakefield, on the stretch between Wood Lane & Sharp Lane - heading towards Robin Hood)

I ended up smashing the rear-window & landing head-first on the back-seat.

That lens bears the scratches to this day,  my nose also carries the scars, I was blowing snot & blood out of the side of it for a few weeks

But, my eyes were 'A-Okay', after checking in the local A&E department by an Opthalmologist

From a personal point of view, on that basis, I'll always wear Oakleys

TNH wrote (see)

Hi,

I usually run without my glasses, because they're not very sporting frames and I don't like the chances of them staying on my face without bouncing up and down.

I take it you can't 'get on' with Contact Lenses then??

01/01/2010 at 20:37

Cheers,

Think I'm gonna have to look at the adidas ones.  The Oakleys are about £259 + Loads for the prescription.

No I can't stand the idea of contacts - I'm crap at anything to do with eyes.

Might have to go to the optician to see what my current prescription is.  Can't believe the difference in cost that the level of prescription is. 

02/01/2010 at 15:55
I have managed to get a really stupid looking peaked running hat, which I can pull low enough to keep the glare/ rain etc of my specs. It's better than nothing, but I would prefer to go with contact lenses (£££)
02/01/2010 at 17:33

I have worn a pair of these for the last 4 years without any complaints. They don't move at all when I run/bike/sledge and are true wraparound, all water beads off them and the photochromatic lenses seem indestructible. I did lose one of the nose pieces last year, but they sent me a replacement free of charge.

I know that the insert style is available, but they put the lens so close to my eye that my lashes were rubbing against them and they steam up too easily.

You send your prescription to them by e-mail and they provided within a week or so. Having a curved lens means they can only accomodate up to a certain prescription (can't remember the limit, but it's on the website somewhere).

Highly recommended.

02/01/2010 at 20:26
Sunwise specs work for me. But they're so cool I let them down....
02/01/2010 at 21:01

HHHmmm,

Found a website that does Oakley straight jackets (Prescription) for £189 and Adidas Evil eyes (With inserts) for £179.

Not cheap, but better prices than i've seen elsewhere online.

Just waiting until they come back from their christmas break so that I can ask some questions about replacing the inserts / lenses when my prescription changes and which will have the best lifetime value.

Tommygun2    pirate
02/01/2010 at 21:14
This company does prescription glasses Rudy Project I don't think they are cheap though
03/01/2010 at 16:47
The issue with prescription lenses is the weight which tends to pull the glasses down, making them uncomfortable / unstable.

Oakleys overcome this but are restrictive in that 2/3 lenses will requie 2/3 presecriptions and hence are costly.

Rudy project has worked very well for me or many years. The glasses are very affordable and the presecription insert is a one off expense.

Most bike shops stock them.
05/01/2010 at 14:04

rudy project for me every time.  I like the option of unclipping the prescription insert - either for use when wearing contacts or to change the strength of the optics.  It beats buying new sunglasses!

I'm not on commission, but these guys http://www.gosportsspex.co.uk/ supplied mine - very efficient.

Uzi
06/01/2010 at 09:35

http://www.goggles4u.co.uk/

Hi. The above company do glasses with straight sport legs and free tint. It will take a few mins to find them. You will not believe the price!

Worth a look. I have used them a few times with no problems.

Regards, Uzi.

Product Code 34867    These are the ones I am getting.

http://www.goggles4u.co.uk/detail.asp?Pid=34867

Edited: 06/01/2010 at 09:45
08/05/2010 at 11:25
I have some normal glasses with transitions photochromic lenses so I can run in them all the time.  They used to slip off regularly but I now use wedgees (www.wedgees.com) which are are brilliant at keeping the glasses on, no matter how sweaty and hot I get.  Unfortunately I picked my glasses up this morning and one of the arms fell off, not at the point where it screws on either, it just came apart.  I wondered if the slight pounding they get from being used to run in has contributed to this, anyone know if this is likely?
08/05/2010 at 19:09
Hiya...I got mine from  balanceoptics.com  ...they do the prescription ones you were after although I just got running ones. I was pleased with the glasses and couldnt fault the service....had few phone calls with owner and he made sure I had the correct ones. He even mailed me just before virgin marathon to wish me well and hope that glasses would be ok..which they were....bye
08/05/2010 at 22:26
I have a pair of the Adidas Evil Eyes with inserts. Very good although I've not used them for running as yet. I did have an odd problem with them a few years ago though. We were dog sledding in Finland whilst it was -36C - I blinked and my eye lashes froze to the inserts!
1 to 20 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.