Running tights etiquette

1 to 20 of 160 messages
23/09/2010 at 11:23

What are peoples general thoughts on running tights? I happen to like them, they are comfy, stop chaffing, and keep my legs nice and warm.  

But my 5 year old son told me I look like a girl and I do get the odd funny look when I'm wearing them!

So are they generally accepted? Do you wear shorts over the top or not? Can you wear them when it's not that cold for the comfort? I'd love to hear other runners thoughts.

thanks

23/09/2010 at 11:59

Who gives a crap if they are "accepted" or what they look like, if you want to wear them, wear them.

I've worn tights in races before, and alot in training, I really couldn't care less what they look like, if you are worried about steven and the twins being on show, wear shorts over them.

23/09/2010 at 12:15
From a girlie point of view (not literally!), please don't wear shorts over them. I think that looks awful. Running tights on a man are fine IMO. Certainly no worse than on a woman.
23/09/2010 at 12:26
+1 with dano

there is absolutely no reason to wear anything over the tights

what's wrong with blokes these days?? do they have to worry about the possibility that someone might catch a look at the bulge in the tights or get called a girl?? well, guess what - all blokes have said bulges much like women have tits and I'm damn sure looking at the amount of flesh on show, that most women aren't worried about their tits being seen.

ffs - man up and stop worrying about it.

anyway - it's too warm for tights unless it's sub-zero so be a man and just wear shorts even if it is a bit cold.
23/09/2010 at 12:28
Matthew Thompson 6 wrote (see)

What are peoples general thoughts on running tights? I happen to like them, they are comfy, stop chaffing, and keep my legs nice and warm.  

But my 5 year old son told me I look like a girl and I do get the odd funny look when I'm wearing them!

So are they generally accepted? Do you wear shorts over the top or not? Can you wear them when it's not that cold for the comfort? I'd love to hear other runners thoughts.

thanks

awww bless, is he calling you names too?

+1 on Dano and FB

Take heed from the Marathon ('Snickers') advert...........get some nuts

23/09/2010 at 12:31
Dan - proper LOL at 'Steven and the twins'
23/09/2010 at 13:03

Points taken, even the sarcastic ones (Nick L)

23/09/2010 at 13:07

Your son is right. Tights only make you look like Max Wall.

If you must wear something long on the legs in the darkest depths of winter, then Ron Hill tracksters are the only answer that are not effeminate or wussy.

If you're a real hairy-chested rufty-tufty chap like me, all you need is skimpy shorts and a good slathering of whale blubber.

23/09/2010 at 13:17

glad to be of service.

Agree with muttley on the ron hills, they are less tight.....but they always make me think that i should be a PE teacher from the 70s or 80s.

Get some half-tights (i.e. cycling shorts length) ones for the warm...you get the chaff prevention and comfort.

23/09/2010 at 13:18

I wear tights in the winter and even for races if its cold enough. That said I do get a few odd looks but personally I really don't care. If they feel good to run in then go for it and if anyone is offended by the sight of your bulge, then they probably shouldn't be looking anyway!

As for shorts, IMO only superheroes should wear anything over their tights

23/09/2010 at 13:18
or you could wear shorts and long compression socks....
23/09/2010 at 13:24

CHAFING, and CHAFE

There is only one 'F' in chafe.

And you should wear whatever you like (but please don't put shorts over your tights - it makes you look insecure).

How much advice from five-year-olds would you normally pay attention to?

Edited: 23/09/2010 at 13:26
23/09/2010 at 13:28
Repeat after me:

"Lycra is underwear"
"Lycra is underwear"
"Lycra is underwear"
"Lycra is underwear"
"Lycra is underwear"
"Lycra is underwear"
"Lycra is underwear"
"Lycra is underwear"
23/09/2010 at 13:36

CHAFING, and CHAFE

There is only one 'F' in chafe.

It may only be one F'in chafe but it doesn't half f'in hurt!

23/09/2010 at 13:42
Tights rock! Shows we are proper men and doing what we like not thinking about what we look like. Not that it applies to me as I have a massive....
23/09/2010 at 14:26

Mrs RWMS has just got me some more tights for my birthday (not often you'll hear that off a 41yo man in public) and I have no qualms in wearing them - although I'm not sure what this 'bulge' is that you are all going on about

(PS I have Ron Hils too )

23/09/2010 at 14:36
The bulge is entirely dependent on the temperature, if its cold, its not there!!
23/09/2010 at 14:39
Phew!!!!
23/09/2010 at 14:46

My fairy godmother once asked me if I wanted a huge bulge or a good memory.

I can't remember what my reply was.

23/09/2010 at 15:38
"If you must wear something long on the legs in the darkest depths of winter, then Ron Hill tracksters are the only answer that are not effeminate or wussy."

when are you going to drag yourself screaming and kicking into the 21st Century? give up with the shite tracksters and leave them to the pipe smokers and flat cap wearers - get yourself some lycra tights for those days when you need to embrace your feminine side...
1 to 20 of 160 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.