Running Tights

1 to 20 of 22 messages
28/11/2009 at 17:16

Having finally tried the running tights i bought from Aldi last month i now find they arent what i was expecting, the material seems too heavy and not quite clingy enough when im running to stay where i want them. They end up slowly heading south and stretching the groin area slightly allowing the 'boys' to swing free abit. The waist is fine and stays where it should.

Can any guys recommend any tights that are really nice and clingy all the way down the leg and a nice lightweight material. Preferably not too expensive (20 - 25 quid max). Ive seen some of the decathlon ones but not sure of their fit until i can get to the store. Would prefer to be able to try them on rather than ordering the wrong size off the internet.

28/11/2009 at 17:17
Try some Ron Hill tracksters - they're dirt cheap on Wiggle at the moment, I ordered a pair last night.
29/11/2009 at 02:18
you bought some from aldi ?what did you expect !
29/11/2009 at 08:30
etchy wrote (see)
you bought some from aldi ?what did you expect !

I'm guessing you have never even looked at the running or cycling gear that they get in from time to time. Some of it is really good and i've had some top bargains from there, don't just assume as it from Aldi it's no good.

The only pair of tights i have are Adidas ones cost about £20 and have not had any issue with them, i much prefer wearing shorts and having a good warm up before the run.

29/11/2009 at 08:40

I've found the same with Aldi and Lidl tights - they are hit and miss.

Basically, what Colonel Blimp said. Ron Hill tracksters. Comfy, robust and don't make you look like Max Wall.

29/11/2009 at 08:44
My tights are from Decathlon and they're nice and snug all the way down, well shaped around the legs.
29/11/2009 at 14:46
'some' Aldi stuff is great for the money BUT for tights I got some Karrimor ones from Sports Direct in town. I think they were only about 12 quid and are great. Great fit (keep the 'boys' in check) and are light weight and fitted all the way down the leg!! 
29/11/2009 at 18:20
I brought a cheap discounted pair of saucony tights, they fit like a glove.
29/11/2009 at 19:25

The Sports Direct Karrimors are great for £10.99.

Not brought any running stuff from Aldi, but they do have some real bargins on things like hill walking poles and other stuff.

30/11/2009 at 01:03

Last time I was ini Sports Direct they had two types of Nike tights in your price range and some Karrimor ones. The Nike Tech tights go for £25 and are very snug fit, no riding down. Only for the real cold days though as material is thicker than most others. My only complaint is that the ankles are the tightest of all the tights I have and so much that I can't zip them all the way to the end and I'm a slim fit. Zippers to the side or off centre are much better btw.

I'd recommend spending a tad more and getting some Salomon (my favs but they're a slim fit - nice!) or Saucony or Asics. Salomon have a lower waist so better to tie, Asics are a bit Simon Cowell and high! Have an older pair of Ronhills which are great but I like the others better for fit.
30/11/2009 at 10:08
Just on this - I've never ever worn tights as I generally wear shorts regardless of the weather. However, I've succumbed and bought some. But my question is - do you wear anything underneath them or not? I'm guessing from the posts above then no, but just wanted to check really - don't want to get arrested for indecent exposure!
30/11/2009 at 10:14
I am generally fine without anything underneath, however, when its wet, I get bad chafing in the gentlemens area, so you might need to wear something under them, or apply some lubricant.
30/11/2009 at 10:56

Righto cheers - I suffer a bit from the old chafing myself, so will bear that in mind!

Cheers

30/11/2009 at 11:24
If it's cold enough for me to wear tights, it's also cold enough for me to wear an extra layer over the gentlemen's area, which basically means a pair of lycra (nicely non-chafing) shorts underneath.  I've heard of people wearing normal running shorts over the top, but that all sounds a bit too Superman for my liking.
30/11/2009 at 13:38

I have got a few pairs of the Karrimor ones and they are a really good fit. Recently brought a pair of the More Mile ones for £15 from Start Fitness and they are a good fit as well.

I have always worn Decathlon pants rather than going commando. They are made of technical fabric.

01/12/2009 at 18:14

Ah yes, I was having a conversation about the decathlon pants. proper good against the chafing. Beats a damp crotch of vass every race. I can't recommend them enough....a bit like speedos that keep the tackle tight to the body. Not very flattering though.

On running tights, I have just done a what-the-hell splash out on a pair of Exo II from Salomon. I had some skins and they are just about to go on ebay to fund the rather steep but worth it £72 for the salomons. I had a pair of decathlon compression tights.....rubbish. Lots of calf slippage and never seemed to compress well enough.

01/12/2009 at 19:11

At £72 they should do the running for you

Had a pair of Nike Fit tights which have seen me OK through 2 winters of running on Dartmoor at about £20.

01/12/2009 at 22:23
Own 1 pair of Adidas tights an they are great - recommend
02/12/2009 at 08:12
 I don't know if this thread has died, I am running in Qatar at the moment whilst I am here working.  I have taken to wearing a high Vis vest which is not particularly a good fit but at least gives the local drivers here something to aim at.  My question is, years ago I bought a pair of Ron Hill running tights as I believe they are now called, they had thousands of high vis flecks in / on them, very effective, I am again looking for the same, but I am having no joy.  Does any body know if they still exist if so please advise.
02/12/2009 at 16:24
LS21 wrote (see)
 But my question is - do you wear anything underneath them or not? I'm guessing from the posts above then no, but just wanted to check really - don't want to get arrested for indecent exposure!
I wear sports boxers from Aldi under my tights.  They were in a set with a t-shirt for about €12, marketed as a base layer set.  Take a look next time Aldi have them, they're great!
1 to 20 of 22 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.