Running watch recommendations ?

16 messages
14/10/2002 at 11:07
Hi everyone,

I have a Timex Ironman Flix 100 and use it all the time in races. It seems fine for me although I can understand why some would find it a bit fiddly and the function buttons aren't exactly intuitive. I'm also not keen on the fairly small split time displays which are just about impossible for my aging eyes during a race.

My partner is getting into running and is harping on about having her own watch with suitable functions ... dunno what's wrong with a travel alarm clock and a rubber band - but she's fickle :-)

So, who thinks their watch is fantastic, easy to use with clear displays ?

I must admit, I don't use 100 memory locations on mine .. 26 at most for marathon mile splits - then I put the results into a spreadsheet .. dunno why, doesn't seem to make me go any faster !

So, it needs to hold and recall at most 26 times.

But I do like being able to set the watch to bleep at various time intervals for speed sessions and for telling me when I should be at mile or km markers in races. That would also be a necessity for any watch considered.

Any suggestion for a suitable timepiece for her outdoors ?

Thanks and good running

Bruxy
14/10/2002 at 16:54
I switched from a Timex Ironman to some funky Reebok watch with big buttons and a clear display ´cos I thought it would be easier to use.

I killed it in a year - not doing anything special, just usual use. And all the funky graphics on it rubbed off in weeks.

Now back to the Ironman - absolutely indestructable. But they´re not exactly pretty, I admit.
14/10/2002 at 17:06
Love my Ironman...£24.99 from Argos. 30 lap memory. Cant go wrong.
15/10/2002 at 09:04
I have a Casio watch (don't know the name) that has a built in pedometer, stopwatch and countdown interval timer. It saves up to 30 laps. Once you have calibrated the pedometer (only took a couple of miles) it tells you the distance you have run and your pace. It is available from Argos for £14 - £15 I think. Mine is several years old and still works fine.
15/10/2002 at 10:55
My freebie RW watch died on me in the Liverpool 1/2m in September so I bought a cheap (£15) Timex one. All I care about is start & stop. It's nothing special but then neither am I!
15/10/2002 at 11:57
I have a Timex Rush VO2 - nice big face as i'm short sighted. Also features:
stopwatch with 50 laps
light that stays on for 5 seconds
two timers
alarm
ordinary clock.
Nice big buttons
Battery seems to last about 18 months, depending on how many times i use the timers - the beepers seem to run it down quite quickly.
Cost about £30 from Natterjack running a few years back.
17/10/2002 at 10:05
Thanks for the replies, everyone - she settled for a Timex Ironman in the end as I'm happy with mine and everyone else seems pleased with them too.

His 'n' Hers watches, eh ?

Please don't point and laugh if you see us pounding the Derbyshire trails comparing watch displays :-)
17/10/2002 at 14:39
I'm with Lagerman (perhaps this should worry me) - got an Ironman 30 lap at 24.99 from Argos too, and it's just the job for me (as a hopeless plodder).
23/10/2002 at 15:34
Has anyone tried the NIKE SPEED/DISTANCE MONTITOR? Is it as good as it sounds?
26/10/2002 at 14:00
I just think my Nike watch is just brilliant. 120 laps which means I can store the weeks training & then put them on my computer when I have time. Also great for on hoilday's too. £70 is a lot of money though & all the blue colouring is coming off. What I really want is it n red {club colours]
Tim
26/10/2002 at 16:01
There is a huge thread already running on Speed & Distance Monitors - I have a Timex 50 Lap SDM which I love (although the 100 lap has extra features!) Unfortunately with SDM's you are looking at a whole new price range ... £200+ !!!

As for the Nike SDM it seems to be riddled with problems ... see the thread and decide for yourself !
26/10/2002 at 18:20
Is yours the timex with the GPS, I want one.
26/10/2002 at 18:24
It sure is and you are right to want one ... they are good !

Expensive but good ....
26/10/2002 at 18:28
I am lookimg to purchase a new watch as my Timex Ironman 8 lap memory is coming to an end with now various strap parts and the face wareing out. I also have a Polar Accurex heart rate monitor and although there is nothing wrong with it , it is nearly 8 yrs old.I have had a replacemnt battery in the watch and a new strap about 2 years ago, but im am now wondering if i could switch to a speed - distance one or a heart rate watch with a download. I must have big memory on it and easy buttons to use. Has anybody tried the new timex i-control stopwatch would be interested in that as well
26/10/2002 at 18:39
I love my NIKE watch with 50 laps.it looks great and the only problem is the durability.I needed a new strap and sent it back to Nike who replaced the complete watch with the new updated version.The watch was some 3 years old - so I got a new watch foc!!The battery only lasts around 9 months .i did have an Ironman watch which seemed to last forever.Not sure which one I will purchase next time though.
27/10/2002 at 16:18
Dear Santa.....

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
16 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.