shoes - what is the price to pay

21 to 22 of 22 messages
21/09/2011 at 11:45

"What do you all think about having to pay £100+ for your shoes? Is it something that you accept that is part of your sport, it’s still cheaper than Golf!!"

I don't think the £100 price has any significance on its own...its all relative isn't it?  If you are selling my shoes for £100 and everyone else is selling them for £122 I'm coming to you every time.  I accept that the price of shoes is a part of my sport but I'm still going to do everything I can to get the same for less.

If I have to pay these prices then I will.  Before doing so I will put some effort into finding the same for cheaper.  For example this year I found my current shoe selling for £30 less in a big outdoor chain (vs usual local running shop).

Something else I would happily do (now...maybe not before) is buy the previous model of a shoe (at least one I am familiar with).  I am not an elite athlete by any stretch of the imagination and wearing one model behind the latest shoe looks like a good way to save lots of money.

One other adjustment I'll make (and am making) is to put off new shoe purchase until its actually needed rather than when I fancy a shiny new pair.

In an ideal world I would prefer to buy bang-up-to-date shoes from a bricks and mortar local shop.  My perception is that this is currently a guarantee to paying at, or near, top-dollar prices.

--------------

BTW if the motion testing service is any good then why not charge for it?  If I have some kind of problem and trust you can help with it then I'd be happy to pay.

Edited: 21/09/2011 at 11:47
22/09/2011 at 17:15

I,ve been in the wave rider for several years now.  I bought my most recent pair at indie shop and the chap there did mention where the price was going.

I am at the stage where I will probably look at other shoes as I dont see what exrtra I get for the increase in price.  They change the shoes regulary - colour changes, stitching changes, sometimes the  feel of the shoe changes.  But one thing that never changes is the mileage I get from the shoe. 

If they improved the shoe lifeI might swallow the price increase, but I do feel a bit ripped off when they change the shoes, often make them worse, then use the change as a justification for a price increase.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 22 of 22 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.